Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Router Connection

• Please log in to reply

ProEd

ProEd

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
I have recently upgraded at home to a reliable DSL ISP from dial up (been called Dinosaur before so you don't need to repeat it). So, I installed a Linksys Range Plus router a couple weeks ago. My home PC Tower is direct cable connected to this router and connects consistently @ 100 MBPS. No fluctuation. Great, love it.

However, I connect with my laptop for work through wireless from about 30 ft. from the router. In a nutshell, I observe 54 MBPS connection speed & "Very Good" signal strength at initial connection. Within minutes signal strength drops to between "very low" & "good" and connection speed drops to between 1.0 to 24.0 MBPS. These values fluctuate regularly. At this moment I read 11 MBPS connection speed & Low strength. Usually levels out at 11 to 12 MBPS w/ Low strength overall. Solar flares? Druids? Hackers?

Any thoughts re: resolving these fluctuations will be appreciated. I have Googled this topic and have read some interesting comments. But I will put more faith in the Geeks from GTG, as I always have. Thanks for any comments.

Happy trails.... ProEd

Advertisements

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Any thoughts re: resolving these fluctuations will be appreciated. I have Googled this topic and have read some interesting comments. But I will put more faith in the Geeks from GTG, as I always have. Thanks for any comments.

Well, that depends on where you read it from. :)

The speed readings you are describing pertains to the media speed. Your PC is connected to the router with an Ethernet cable right? That should give you a wirespeed of 100Mbps. Your laptop connects via wireless so its max media speed is 54Mbps. This has nothing to do with your internet connection, IMO. Regarding the fluctuations in your wireless signal and speed that would depend on your surroundings (interference).

Edited by ditrackster, 22 July 2008 - 01:10 AM.