Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer crashes with new AVG 8.0 & Adaware 2008

• Please log in to reply

Rust

Rust

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I had a perfect running computer until a couple of weeks ago until I downloaded the new version of Adaware 2008. Everytime I perform a scan the computer now shuts down with a serious error. It ran perfectly on the old 2007 version. I have now just downloaded the latest AVG Anti Virus 8.0 Free Version and it now crashes exactly the same as Adaware everytime I scan. It worked perfectly on the old AVG 7.5.

Would appreciate any help, I run Windows xp home, 512mb ram and 80 gig hard drive. Do all the Microsoft updates. Firewall is Zone Alarm. No problems scanning with a2 Square Malware scanner. Thanks.
Cheers
Dave

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Does it fall over on a particular file, in a particular directory or in any predictable situation?

Rust

Rust

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi
Thanks for your reply. It always crashes within 30 seconds of beginning the scan. Can't really pinpoint any paticular file. Still scans perfectly with AVG 7.5 and recently installed Spyware Doctor which also scans ok. It's a bit of a pity as I've ran Adaware for many years without problem and I suppose AVG 7.5 will soon become un-updateable.

Dave

hybucket

hybucket

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I also just downloaded AVG 8 when my Norton ran out. Computer ran fine, but as soon as I ran a scan, it also crashed within 10 seconds.
I have an older Adaware program on the computer, and when I ran that, it also crashed, as did a spybot program scan.
Have you had any luck figuring out why, and should I try AVG 7.5? Could it be a problem with NOrton not being completely uninstalled?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I have seen this behaviour and every time I've seen it myself it's usually a problem that's caused by the same file/folder regardless of the program that's being used. Possible explanations for this include the location in question has illegal characters in the filename (typical of most malware infections that come from the far East that use characters that aren't shown in Western language sets causing Windows to either show them as square boxes or question marks, the latter being an illegal character in a filename under Windows). Typically you have to seek these out and rename them slightly otherwise nothing will get to see them.

Norton Removal Tool is an option to try but I don't believe it has any bearing on the problem you have.