Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost my Internet Explorer files

• Please log in to reply

yadi823

yadi823

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was downloading the IE7 update when my computer froze. The only way to correct that was to reboot, which as you know, interrupted the download. Since it had started and was able to overwrite my old IE version, I now have no IE files at all. Without IE I can't download any version to reinstall. How do I reinstall an IE version without access to the Internet?

Advertisements

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks To Go!

Well, there are quite a fews ways as to get Internet Explorer back up and running again :)

1. Obtain the setup file via another source of Internet such as a local library or a friends computer, (by downloading Internet Explorer from the Microsoft website). I realize that you must have used a computer connected to the Internet to have been able to post your issue - maybe you could go back to it and download Internet Explorer.

2. Attempt to restore your computer to the time just before Internet Explorer had been removed - this is known as System Restore. You can find a guide here (from Bleeping Computer) regarding how to use System Restore to restore your computer back :)

Hope all goes well for you and let us know :)

bombasos2

bombasos2

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi there,

The last post is probably your best shot and was what I was originally going to suggest. However, your question sent me on a hunt :) to find a way to download Firefox trough command prompt. If you have an internet connection this should work.

1. Open notepad, and copy the following text

::==
@echo off
> ft.do echo o ftp.mozilla.org
>> ft.do echo anonymous
>> ft.do echo
>> ft.do echo mget pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.0/win32/en-US/
>> ft.do echo yes
>> ft.do echo no
>> ft.do echo no
>> ft.do echo bye

ftp -s:ft.do > log.txt

2. Save the file as "ftp firefox.bat"
3. Double click the file. You might get your firewall asking you for permission to ftp, if so allow.
4. Firefox Setup will download into the same folder were you saved the bat file, Install and download the necessary files. Download IE7
5. You can delete the files downloaded, after you install Firefox.

I tried this in Vista and XP and it worked, I hope it works for you.

Good luck!
:)

P.S I really would like to know if this works for you, don't forget to let us know what happens. If my method fails tough I am sure you can fix it by following TechSabre's steps.

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Well as the user appears to have an OS, namely Windows XP, using the command prompt would be a pointless practice. It would be far easier if we used the method I suggested - not to say your method wouldn't work. It would work in a certain situation when command prompt is the only thing availible.

Thanks for sharing though :)