Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Booting Windows from setup files Pre-Copied to a formatted HD

• Please log in to reply

zukkushin

zukkushin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Recently I ran into some troubles, I formatted my PC and when I wanted to re-install Windows and came to the conclusion that the CD was not sitting in the Jewel-Case as was supposed. I had to go on an exploration trip trough my room to find the CD lying under a pile of junk on my GF's desk, badly scratched.

I let several recovery tools loose on it and came to a - what I think is going to be - Fully recovered CD, The only Problem is that now all the files are on my HD and not on a CD. I tried copying it back to a CD with ISObuster as a bootable disk, but its far from bootable lol, It simply won't boot. (I did bear in mind to show hidden files aswell before I recovered and wrote the CD)

So now the question is can't I slave the harddisk of my PC on this PC and copy All files needed for Installing to it? :)
and If yes, How to do so ? it was an OEM Windows XP home edition SP1a

I eagerly await your replies :)
Sincere greetings, Teh ZuKku$h!n

Edited by zukkushin, 22 July 2008 - 12:15 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Far easier solution is to ask somebody to lend you a CD.

zukkushin

zukkushin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
That would indeed be alot easier, bad news is that its becomming more or less a rare breed of windows, as far as I know it has to be an exact copy of the version I have, and that is a dutch edition SP1a OEM version.

My friendslist isn't too big as it is, and those I was able to contact over the past few weeks don't seem to have it sadly enough. (severe world of warcraft addiction Isn't compatible with Real Life and thus makes friends go away at a fast rate lol)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Any OEM disk will be fine, doesn't have to be SP1, an SP3 disk will be fine.