Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP media center addition

• Please log in to reply

fynook12

fynook12

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I'm going to buy a new Dell 6000 inspiron laptop. It's coming with Windows XP home OS. But i want to buy the windows xp media center addition 2005 OS and install it. My question is, can I do that?? At first i thought the Windows MCE was only available preinstalled on new systems. Now i'm seeing the software available on websites and i'm just wondering if it's possible for me to install it on my new laptop if I buy it. Thank You

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Hello:

The list of hardware supported by that version of Windows is very limited. At this point, it's best to buy a PC with the OS pre-installed. If you are going to purchase a copy and install it yourself, make sure you research the hardware. I can't find anything on the Microsoft site as far as listing compatable hardware devices. This link from Microsoft states that Media Center should only be purchased with a new PC: http://www.microsoft.../faq.mspx#EGAAA

Hope this helps.

noobtech

noobtech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
i reciently installed windows media center edition on a desktop pc. And i dont really think you'// have driver problems. Media center is just like xp pro. The only thing you'll have to do, to watch dvd's through the special program the os comes with "media center", you'll have to install a 3rd party dvd player software. For example the latest version of "Power dvd" Before you install make sure to get all latest xp or xp media center drivers you need from dell.com and put it onto a disk to install after the os installation.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Kinda interested in where you can get this as a separate install.. As per Microsoft..

"Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 is a new Windows XP operating system available only on Media Center personal computers. Because of its special hardware feature requirements, Media Center PCs running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 are available only from Microsoft PC manufacturer partners."

noobtech:

This doesn't appear to be available as a stand-alone install OR a download so kinda interested in how you managed to install it?? :tazz:

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 30 April 2005 - 01:08 PM.