Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

eSATA External Hard Drive Question

• Please log in to reply

medic617

medic617

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I think I am figuring out that I need to enable AHCI support in my BIOS in order to be able to use my eSATA ports on my MOBO (Striker II Extreme). The drive I am trying to attach is from my old computer and there are some files on it that I want to transfer over. Is it necessary to format/partition the drive just so Win XP will see it or will it pick it up when I plug it in? Any help is greatly appreciated as my MOBO documentation is lacking and their website forums haven't been very helpful yet.

Thanks!!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take the side of the case off and connect it internally for a while to get what you need. eSATA can be a pain in the arse when it wants to be and it's usually just as quick to connect the drive internally.