Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Computer Drops Hard Drive and shows it as NOT installed, then as insta

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Computer Drops Hard Drive and shows it as NOT installed, then as installed:

My Dell Dimension 4100 Computer has a very strange problem that I have finally isolated. At first I could not get to cmos (bios) setup, but only got message that I needed a boot floppy which I made and it did nothing. Finally I got into setup and found it was dropping the hard drive, i.e., it would first show it was there, but the next time when I ran setup, after unit failed to work, it showed that hard drive was not there. I changed memory sticks, but to no avail. Any ideas of how to correct?

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First replace the IDE data cable to see if it is bad. Then try running a manufacturer diagnostic program to see if the drive is going bad. Last thing to think about is a bad motherboard.