Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Error at Startup

• Please log in to reply

denverlynx

denverlynx

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi:

My wife's laptop started acting funky today. When we start it up it will display the MS Windows XP screen like it is trying to load it up as usual. Then it will make a ugly noise, flash up a blue screen with an error message and restart the machine. Sometimes, it will just keep looping through this cycle. Then for some reason it will actually load up XP and it operates normally. I would guess 1 out of every 5 restarts it works. Then other times it will take us to a page with options to start in various safe modes, under the last windows config or just a normal startup. The biggest problem is when this blue screen 'dos like' error message flashes up it is too quick for me to capture. So, I don't know what to look into as the problem. She is running XP SP2. The machine is a Dell Inspiron 600m. She hasn't installed anything new on the machine in quite some time. I'm not sure what else to add so please let me know what other helpful information I can add.

Otherwise, any advice on how to track down this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Shawn

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This is usually a driver issue. UYou really need to see the error message so:

Windows XP is in a restart loop.

Can you get into safe mode by hitting the F8 key while the computer is booting up? If so then it is usually a drivers problem causing the auto reboot. Disable auto reboot in safe mode to see what blue screen error comes up.

If the computer has SP 2 installed you should see this window when you boot to safe mode.

http://www.microsoft...k-safe-mode.gif

use the arrow keys to go to "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure". Then reboot the computer to see what the error message is. A check at the aumha website will help to tell you where your problem is.

http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.php

You can post the error message here and we shall see if this can be fixed without reinstalling windows.

SRX660

denverlynx

denverlynx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you. I was able to see that this was the error: 0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

A recent send error report a couple of weeks ago indicated something to the fact of 'Intel Pro/Wireless Lan 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter w70n51.sys' needed updating from dell. I download a driver from dell and it still returned the error.

I went into the setup and disable 'MiniPCI Status' and turned off 'Wireless' and rebooted. I was able to login at will without any errors or stuck in a reboot loop. Of course, I don't get any internet access without it. But, we can access her files for backup.

So, I'm not real sure what to do with this error. Any other tips?

Thanks!

Edited by denverlynx, 23 July 2008 - 09:48 PM.

tnfgrl

tnfgrl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi I have the same problem with my Dell. I am running XP and it just loops through the startup but never starts up. I hit F8 and I got this error message.

STOP:c000021A fatal system error
the windows login process system process termintated unexpectaedly with a status of 0x00000000(0x00000000) (0x00000000). the system has been shut down.

Any help?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
tnfgrl
Please, don't hijack other people threads.

denverlynx
Navigate to: C:\Windows\Minidump folder.
If you see any .dmp files, zip all of them, and attach zipped file to your next reply.