Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to post HTL because antispycheck keeps interferring [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Hello rgram,

there is a comodo toolbar now, and I thought that I had deleted everything that has to do with it. How can I get back to the previous toolbar?

Please do the following to remove that toolbar.
go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and remove everything which name starts with Ask

After that

Please download the OTMoveIt2 by OldTimer.
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Please double-click OTMoveIt2.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTMoveit2.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Copy the file paths below to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy):

C:\Program Files\AskSBar
    C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Comodo
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\comodo
    C:\Program Files\COMODO
  • Return to OTMoveIt2, right click in the "Paste List of Files/Folders to Move" window (under the light Yellow bar) and choose Paste.
  • Click the red Moveit! button.
  • A log of files and folders moved will be created in the c:\_OTMoveIt\MovedFiles folder in the form of Date and Time (mmddyyyy_hhmmss.log). Please open this log in Notepad and post its contents and a new Hijackthislog in your next reply.
  • Close OTMoveIt2
If a file or folder cannot be moved immediately you may be asked to reboot the machine to finish the move process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

And the comodo SSL free firewall two facotr authentication products from canada - windows internet explorer page just popped up.

I am not sure what you mean, do you mean you get a popup browser with something of Comodo?

Is there a way that I can ask you a question that will not be posted on the reply page?

Well at Geekstogo has a chat where you can ask quick questions. I am very rarely there.,but you can also ask your questions to the other members available. :)

How can I make sure that this computer does not get infected again? Do I have the stuff on it to protect it? Do I need to do virus scans regularly, like should I go onto the g2g webpage and do the free PC scan weekly or something?

I prefer to give you hints and tips to stay clean, after your problems are gone :)

Thunderbird1988

Advertisements

rgram

rgram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hi Thunderbird,
Thank you for the last post. I hope the moveit log is what you need. didn't really see the timed log?Deckard's System Scanner v20071014.68
Run by User on 2008-07-25 13:23:00
Computer is in Normal Mode.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- HijackThis (run as User.exe) ------------------------------------------------

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:23:04 PM, on 7/25/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16674)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Data Management Server 2008\Server\Dispatch\Connectivity.WindowsService.JobDispatch.exe
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Data Management Server 2008\Server\Webserver\Connectivity.EDMWS.Server.exe
C:\Program Files\Wave Systems Corp\Common\DataServer.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\NTRU Cryptosystems\NTRU Hybrid TSS v2.0.25\bin\tcsd_win32.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\dss.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\HIJACK~1\User.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = www.google.com/ig/dell?hl=en&client=dell-usuk-rel&channel=us&ibd=4070424
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,Default_Page_URL = www.google.com/ig/dell?hl=en&client=dell-usuk-rel&channel=us&ibd=4070424
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [AskSBar Uninstall] rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\UNINST~1.DLL,O -3
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {3DCEC959-378A-4922-AD7E-FD5C925D927F} (Disney Online Games ActiveX Control) - http://disney.go.com...OnlineGames.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1179421432937
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.m...ash/swflash.cab
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: wxvault.dll
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: Autodesk Data Management Job Dispatch - Autodesk - C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Data Management Server 2008\Server\Dispatch\Connectivity.WindowsService.JobDispatch.exe
O23 - Service: Autodesk EDM Server - Autodesk - C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Data Management Server 2008\Server\Webserver\Connectivity.EDMWS.Server.exe
O23 - Service: Autodesk Licensing Service - Autodesk - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskScSrv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: DataSvr2 - Wave Systems Corp. - C:\Program Files\Wave Systems Corp\Common\DataServer.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: NICCONFIGSVC - Dell Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: NTRU Hybrid TSS v2.0.25 TCS (tcsd_win32.exe) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\NTRU Cryptosystems\NTRU Hybrid TSS v2.0.25\bin\tcsd_win32.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless SSO Service (WLANKEEPER) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe

--
End of file - 6150 bytes

-- Files created between 2008-06-25 and 2008-07-25 -----------------------------

2008-07-25 13:09:35 262144 --a------ C:\Program Files\Uninstall Ask Toolbar.dll <Not Verified; Ask.com; Ask Toolbar for Internet Explorer>
2008-07-24 03:54:34 0 d-------- C:\Program Files\Alwil Software
2008-07-23 14:08:16 0 d-------- C:\Program Files\Trend Micro
2008-07-23 12:12:29 0 d-------- C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Malwarebytes
2008-07-23 12:12:21 0 d-------- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes
2008-07-23 12:12:20 0 d-------- C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
2008-06-27 22:59:52 0 d-a------ C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TEMP

-- Find3M Report ---------------------------------------------------------------

2008-07-24 05:58:37 17160 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvModes.dat
2008-05-26 18:32:37 0 d-------- C:\Program Files\ROBOPro
2008-05-26 18:32:37 0 d-------- C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Help

-- Registry Dump ---------------------------------------------------------------

*Note* empty entries & legit default entries are not shown

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"NvCplDaemon"="C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll" [01/19/2006 06:14 AM]
"avast!"="C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe" [07/19/2008 07:38 AM]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"ctfmon.exe"="C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe" [08/04/2004 03:00 AM]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\runonce]
"AskSBar Uninstall"=rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\UNINST~1.DLL,O -3

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\windows]
"appinit_dlls"=wxvault.dll

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\lsa]
"Authentication Packages"= msv1_0 wvauth

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\securityproviders]
SecurityProviders msapsspc.dll, schannel.dll, digest.dll, msnsspc.dll,

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupfolder\C:^Documents and Settings^All Users^Start Menu^Programs^Startup^Digital Line Detect.lnk]
path=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Digital Line Detect.lnk
backup=C:\WINDOWS\pss\Digital Line Detect.lnkCommon Startup

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupfolder\C:^Documents and Settings^All Users^Start Menu^Programs^Startup^EMBASSY Trust Suite Secure Update.lnk]
path=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\EMBASSY Trust Suite Secure Update.lnk
backup=C:\WINDOWS\pss\EMBASSY Trust Suite Secure Update.lnkCommon Startup

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\ALUAlert]
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUNOTIFY.EXE

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\Apoint]
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\ccApp]
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\ctfmon.exe]
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\Dell QuickSet]
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\DellSupport]
"C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe" /startup

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\Document Manager]
C:\Program Files\Wave Systems Corp\Services Manager\DocMgr\bin\docmgr.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\DVDLauncher]
"C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\HPDJ Taskbar Utility]
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb07.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\IntelWireless]
"C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe" /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\IntelZeroConfig]
"C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\ModemOnHold]
C:\Program Files\NetWaiting\netWaiting.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\MSMSGS]
"C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\NvCplDaemon]
RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\NVHotkey]
rundll32.exe nvHotkey.dll,Start

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\nwiz]
nwiz.exe /installquiet

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\SigmatelSysTrayApp]
stsystra.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\SunJavaUpdateSched]
"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\URLLSTCK.exe]
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\UrlLstCk.exe

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\E]
AutoRun\command- E:\LaunchU3.exe -a

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{b4f119de-76a3-11dc-a50c-00188bc925e8}]
AutoRun\command- E:\LaunchU3.exe -a

-- End of Deckard's System Scanner: finished at 2008-07-25 13:23:35 ------------

C:\Program Files\AskSBar\SrchAstt\1.bin moved successfully.
C:\Program Files\AskSBar\SrchAstt moved successfully.
C:\Program Files\AskSBar\bar\1.bin moved successfully.
C:\Program Files\AskSBar\bar moved successfully.
C:\Program Files\AskSBar moved successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Comodo moved successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\comodo\common\Pending moved successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\comodo\common moved successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\comodo moved successfully.
C:\Program Files\COMODO\SafeSurf moved successfully.
C:\Program Files\COMODO moved successfully.

OTMoveIt2 by OldTimer - Version 1.0.4.3 log created on 07252008_131517

OK, I will wait to get directions when I am all clean.
rgram :)

rgram

rgram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
After I sent the lastest report, I restarted the computer.

A beep sounded and the window popped up with avast.setup - application error

A red circle with a white X in it next to: The instruction at "0x7c918fea" referenced memory at "0x01c8eea5". The momory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program.
click on cancel to debug the program.

We have gotten messages like this on our other computers, too, lately...What do they mean?

rgram

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Hello rgram,

You have installed Avast on more then one computer?

That error is not very well discribed on the internet. Yesterday they released a new version of Avast. Please try if reinstalling works by following the steps below.

Upgrading Java:
  • Download the latest version of [url="http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html""]Avast[/url] to your desktop
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all versions of Avast.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on the download to install the newest version.

If you need help with that, or it doesn't fix your problems, please let me know.

Everything from Comodo is gone now?

Thunderbird1988

Edited by Thunderbird1988, 26 July 2008 - 02:08 AM.

rgram

rgram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hi Thundebird 1988,

I downloaded Avast 4.8 to desktop, uninstalled previous, rebooted, installed newer, then it rebooted and is now scanning the laptop using the new avast. But, now it is asking me to take care of things....

It says that Deckyard system scanner is infected by win32: Trojan-gn {other}
it wants me to choose what to do. Should I do what it wants me to. Should I delete, delete all,move, move all, Move to chest, Move all to chest, Repair, Repair All, Ignore, Ignore all, or Esc

I am using my desktop PC to answer you; Avast is waiting for my answer on the laptop.. I am not sure what to do when it finds something is infected>

No, I do not have avast on more than just the laptop, but , I have seen similar windows come up like the one for avast on the other computers...I just don't remember the name of the program at the top of the windows and I think we always just click out of the warning. Should I click to terminate, or click to debug when these types of messages come up?

I am planning on taking all the computers to geeks to go one by one when I am done with the laptop. I need to clean them all.

I am not going to touch the laptop, and will leave Avast scanning waiting for an answer from me until I hear from you to tell me how to handle it. I am thinking that it might bring up other things that it will ask me to make similar decisions on and I am just not sure whick one to click.

Thank you again, Thunderbird, for your help. I am up so early because one of my kids had a nightmare.

rgram

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Hello rgram,

It says that Deckyard system scanner is infected by win32: Trojan-gn {other}
it wants me to choose what to do. Should I do what it wants me to. Should I delete, delete all,move, move all, Move to chest, Move all to chest, Repair, Repair All, Ignore, Ignore all, or Esc

Well in this case it is a "false positive" or in other words, Avast it flagging something as a virus which actually isn't. So please choose "Ignore"

I am not sure what to do when it finds something is infected>

Well unless it is something you know what it is. The best thing to do is "Repair." If Avast fails to do so, then choose "Move to chest." In that case you can restore it if needed.

Do you have any other questions?

Thunderbird1988

rgram

rgram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hi Thunderbird,
Well, I pressed the down arrow button because I thought that is how I scroll down to the "ignore", when it actually said to hit the 9 key....anyway, when I hit that, it started scanning like crazy. It deleted a few of what you called 'false positives" from Deckyards and Malaware bytes, and then I hit Esc and aborted the scan. It says it will continue the scan on reboot.
Can I stop the scan? (never mind, I found out how to turn it off).

I hope that I didn't screw anything up by not stopping the scan before it deleted a few things. Do you think that I deleted things that were vital to these programs? I don't think that I can restore them. Does Avast give us a log somewhere that tells you what it has done if something is deleted?

Ok....It seems, I think, that I am all clean? Am I clean? May I ask a few questions now about keeping clean?

Thank you a million times,
rgram

rgram

rgram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hi Thunderbird,
Is there a way to disable the internet on a computer? It has wireless. I am thinking I would like to restrict access to the Internet when the computer is away from my home so that I can more closely monitor the use of the thing.
rgram

rgram

rgram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
The wireless is internal...not one of those USB things that get plugged in. It has the capability of searching out a wireless network. I want to shut it down!

Thanks,
rgram

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Hello rgram,

With Dell laptops, (you have software installed from Dell, so I think you have a Dell) you can disable and enable your wireless antenna, by pressing the Fn + F2 buttons on your keyboard.

I would like to let you know that the knowledge I have about computers in general, is not enough to answer questions about it. If you have questions about viruses or the security software of your laptop. I will be more then happy to answer, but if it comes to computers in general, then I have to redirect you to the other parts of the forum where they have more knowledge about it then I do :)

Do you have any questions about viruses or securitysoftware? If not, I am going to give you some hints and tips to make your computer more secure :)

Thunderbird1988

Advertisements

rgram

rgram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Thanks for the tip, Thunderbird1988. Yes, I realize that there are other forums that deal with other issues, and that not everyone has knowledge in every single area of computer know-how, but I am telling you that you know more than I do at more than twice your age! I will research disabling and enabling the wireless antenna on the Dell. My last few questions:

1. Is the laptop is clean? Are all the temporary internet files and cookies and all that deleted, or do I have to do that manually?

2. Did I harm the DSS or malaware programs by allowing avast to scan and delete? Should I keep all the programs that you had me download on the computer now that it is clean? Deckyard, Malaware, Move-it, Avast, Avenger, Hijack This (I am looking at the desktop for all the programs)?

3. I must keep Avast, right, cause that is my virus protection, correct? I have McAfee on 2 computers and I think I have licenses for 3...I suppose I could put it on the laptop, too. But the protection is only till November. What should be the minimum protection against viruses that I should be taking? By that, I mean, what should I have installed on the computer to help catch and quarantine harmful stuff. I know the main thing that I can do is block access to the Internet and not allow unsupervised surfing.

To tell you the truth, I am not really sure how to use any of these programs correctly, but I guess if McAfee says I am protected, then I just need to trust the program. I thought that the laptop WAS protected from viruses, that something was installed when we got it. But there was so much unsafe surfing going on it was bound to get infected. I was just so stupid and didn't check history, didn't put passwords on to block access...you get the picture...dumb, dumb, dumb!

4. I have to scan the other computers in the house, not because they are acting funny per se, but I want to clean up any stuff that accumulated on there due to unsafe surfing, too. We have had some error messages come up, but with one click they were ignored and they are probably still lurking around in there somewhere. Yes, the culprit was on several of our computers. It is just that the laptop was used the most...easier to move around and hide....and it overflowed with sickness...that you have helped me get off..thank you very much. Should I just start a new topic or post for those...like do the free virus scan on the G#go homepage and start another topic, or should I stay on this topic and forum. Can you help me if anything is found?

Is there a forum to discuss internet safefy and blocking of graphic images?

Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my questions.

rgram

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Hello rgram,

1. Is the laptop is clean? Are all the temporary internet files and cookies and all that deleted, or do I have to do that manually?

They should be gone now, if you need to remove temporary internet files, or cookies in the future, I would recommand using ATF Cleaner. It safes you from removing it manually.

Did I harm the DSS or malaware programs by allowing avast to scan and delete? Should I keep all the programs that you had me download on the computer now that it is clean? Deckyard, Malaware, Move-it, Avast, Avenger, Hijack This (I am looking at the desktop for all the programs)?

It doesn't really matter if DSS is harmed. We will remove it anyway, you can try if Malwarebytes Antimalware is harmed to check if it can run and scan well. If not, please reinstall it. Except for Avast and Malwarebytes Antimalware, everything we used needs to be removed.

3. What should be the minimum protection against viruses that I should be taking? By that, I mean, what should I have installed on the computer to help catch and quarantine harmful stuff.

A firewall, A virusscanner and a malwarescanner. We will use the Windows firewall for now because that is the fireall with the least hassle to configure.
Avast and Malwarebytes antimalware will do fine, along with a few other scanners from the prevention speech.
Please make sure you have only one viruscanner installed on your system. More scanners installed will interfere which will cause a slower and less stable system and less protection.

Should I just start a new topic or post for those...like do the free virus scan on the G#go homepage and start another topic, or should I stay on this topic and forum. Can you help me if anything is found?

I would rather recommand you to use one of the scanners listed on the Free protection tools page from my signature. If you need assistence with the other computers. I would like you to start a new topic. I don't know if it will be me who starts helping you, but if not, someone else of the staff will.

Is there a forum to discuss internet safefy and blocking of graphic images?

Well I don't believe we have really a forum where you can discuss that. I think the question about blocking images fits best here

Here are some tips to remove some of the programs we have used, we need to remove.

• Make sure you have an Internet Connection.
  • Double-click OTMoveIt2.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTMoveit2.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Click on the CleanUp! button
  • A list of tool components used in the Cleanup of malware will be downloaded.
  • If your Firewall or Real Time protection attempts to block OtMoveit2 to reach the Internet, please allow the application to do so.
  • Click Yes to begin the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

Upgrading Java:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 7.
  • Scroll down to where it says "The J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select your Platform and check the box that says: "I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 License Agreement.".
  • Click on Continue.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation (jre-6u7-windows-i586-p.exe) and save it to your desktop. Do NOT use the Sun Download Manager..
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java version.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on the download to install the newest version.(Vista users, right click on the jre-6u7-windows-i586-p.exe and select "Run as an Administrator.")

Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
  • Disable and Enable System Restore. - If you are using Windows ME or XP then you should disable and re-enable system restore to make sure there are no infected files found in a restore point.

You can find instructions on how to enable and reenable system restore here:

Managing Windows Millenium System Restore

or

Windows XP System Restore Guide

Reenable system restore with instructions from tutorial above

• Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Use an AntiVirus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.

See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:

Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources

• Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

• Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

Understanding and Using Firewalls

• Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

• Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option. This will provide realtime spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers

• Install Ad-Aware - Install and download Ad-Aware. ou should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software in conjunction with Spybot.

Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer

• Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

• Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

here are some additional utilities that will enhance your safety

I leave this topic open for a few days. If you have any questions about something discribed in my post, please let me know :)

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.