Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot open any programs in normal mode, system freezes

• Please log in to reply

crimson_rose

crimson_rose

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Here is the link to my malware post: http://www.geekstogo...46#entry1283046

I was referred over here from the malware boards & my logs are clean. I'm having trouble booting in normal mode. The programs will not open. You click on one and the hourglass will show, but the program never opens or you cannot click on anything at all. It basically freezes. I am running in safe mode with networking now and that seems to run fine. I was also getting alot of (not responding) on my pages, or error needs to close.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Do you have your Windows XP Disc?

crimson_rose

crimson_rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Unfortunately, there is no disc. This is my roommates computer & she is totally unaware of anything computer wise.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
The first thing to try is system restore. While in Safe Mode go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories ->System Tools and click System Restore. Follow the instructions to choose a restore date, that is, a date you know your computer was working without any problems. System Restore won't erase any of your files or data, rather just restore system files to how they were. After it's done, can you boot into normal mode? If so, disregard the following.

If System Restore doesn't work, put the system back to its latest point and let's try again. While in Safe Mode, go to Start -> Run, type msconfig and click OK. Click the Startup tab to view programs that are running at Startup. Uncheck all or most programs that aren't system files (in essence, aren't made by Microsoft). Try rebooting into normal mode.

Post back your results.

crimson_rose

crimson_rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Since I just cleared out all kinds of infections in the malware forum, do I go back to a date before all the infections to do a system restore?

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Yes. But now that you mention the past malware, try to see if the second method works before trying the first.

crimson_rose

crimson_rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm sorry it took so long to reply, I've had the flu for the past week.

I tried your second option & as of right now, the computer seems to be running fine. So far, so good. I shall post if anything changes.
Thank you.