Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build

• Please log in to reply

Primevi1

Primevi1

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Here's what I've purchased so far...

Cooler Master CM 690 Chassis Here
Cooler Master 650W PSU Here
EVGA 750i FTW MOBO Here
(2x2GB) 4GB 1066MHZ Ram Here
E8400 CPU
92mm Rosewell CPU heatsink/fan Here
XFX 9800 GT2 GPU Here

Planning on purchasing...

Windows Vista 32 or 64 bit
WD 10000RPM HDD (either the 300Gb Velociraptor or 150GB) 300GB 150GB

Here's the deal:

Should I go with the 64 bit Vista?
Should I get the larger HDD or do you guys think 10K is even worth it. (I plan on using it just as a OS and Program drive, everything else will be put on an external drive.)

And most importantly is the PSU powerful enough to supply my system? The issue I am worried about is the GPU. I ended up getting a good deal on it plus it has hdmi built in. Unfortunatly the PSU I have is at the lower end of the cards requirements (580W). Is this going to be strong enough to keep the system up without to much load? Also the card has a 8 and a 6 pin PCIe connectors and the PSU only has two 6pin PCIe connections. I read online that the other two pins are just grounds and I should be fine, but should I be worried, or just get a new PSU?

Again thanks for any advice, I promise to put pics up once I'm done.

Advertisements

baseballstud1547

baseballstud1547

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
you should be fine with the psu that you have. it depends on what you plan on doing with your system as to whether you get 32 bit or 64 bit. so what do you plan on doing?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Windows Vista 32 or 64 bit

Windows 32bit, unless you plan on getting 8GB of RAM in the future. Unless you photo/video edit or do CAD, you'll have no need for any more then 4GB of RAM.

Should I get the larger HDD or do you guys think 10K is even worth it.

Simply put, it's not worth it. You are looking at a rather minimal gain for a higher cost.

Also the card has a 8 and a 6 pin PCIe connectors and the PSU only has two 6pin PCIe connections. I read online that the other two pins are just grounds and I should be fine, but should I be worried, or just get a new PSU?

You'll need an adapter 6pin->8pin adapter.
James

Primevi1

Primevi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I do plan on using it for some photo editing (photoshop) but I also heard there arent enough drivers out there to support 64bit fully yet. Is it also true I can use my 4gb usb drive as extra RAM?

Also the 6pin to 8pin adapter I heard was a waste of money, is it really necessary?

Lastly what do you guys think of the video card, is it overkill? I wanted something with an hdmi built in and was limited to nVidea by my mobo.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I do plan on using it for some photo editing (photoshop) but I also heard there arent enough drivers out there to support 64bit fully yet.

That depends on what you are talking about, I'd say 80%+ of new hardware/appliactions will be 64bit compatible. Unless you are editing MASSIVE images, and I mean massive, you'd have to stitch multiple hi resolution images together, you are not going to see many (if any) benefits of 8GB of RAM over 4GB.

Is it also true I can use my 4gb usb drive as extra RAM?

Yes, but it's not recommended in your situation. The storage material is far slower then typical desktop RAM and this feature called "ready Boost" is only ment to be used in a situation where a user had 512mb RAM and wants more memory, but unable or unwilling to do the upgrade.

Also the 6pin to 8pin adapter I heard was a waste of money, is it really necessary?

Yes it's necessary. The only card that has a 8pin connector that's not necessary to use, is the HD2900XT.

Lastly what do you guys think of the video card, is it overkill?

Depends on what you want to do with your computer and what resolutions you game at.

I wanted something with an hdmi built in and was limited to nVidea by my mobo.

You can still run ATI cards, just not crossfire.
James

Edited by james_8970, 23 July 2008 - 12:56 PM.

Primevi1

Primevi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
So are you saying I should go with 64 bit Vista?

Also I plan on overclocking the CPU. With the video card, 1 or 2 HDD and the overclocked CPU will the PSU be able to handle the load sufficiently for extended periods of time?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

So are you saying I should go with 64 bit Vista?

Nope, I strongly urge you to not buy the 64bit version of vista.

Also I plan on overclocking the CPU. With the video card, 1 or 2 HDD and the overclocked CPU will the PSU be able to handle the load sufficiently for extended periods of time?

You'll be cutting it close, but it'll work fine. If you were to start adding a quad, fans and hard drives, I'd suggest purchasing a new PSU. Where is stands, your 650W PSU will get you by.
That being said, you must have the 6->8pin adapter.
James

Edited by james_8970, 23 July 2008 - 05:49 PM.

Primevi1

Primevi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
OK so 32bit Vista is the way to go.
Any good deals on newegg right now for HDD that you guys would go for since they got $10 off Vista also?

Also where can I pick up one of these 6 to 8 pin adapter?

P.S. I wish I didnt cut the barcode off of the box for the rebate prematurely, then I would just return and get a 750W...grr

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Any good deals on newegg right now for HDD that you guys would go for since they got $10 off Vista also?

I'm not sure. Since I'm a Canadian resident, I don't watch for Newegg's sales.

Also where can I pick up one of these 6 to 8 pin adapter?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812198016
This is a "y" connector, I can only recommend you use one of the two connectors.
James

Primevi1

Primevi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
So how do you guys rate my build on a scale of 1-10? Its my first build in about 3-4 yrs and as ive learned technology has changed a lot!

Using the parts I listed above in the first post that I had already purchased plus vista 32bit and a Samsung 32mb cache 750gb HDD from Newegg the grand total comes to around $1100.

Keep in mind I needed the higher end graphics card in able to have a regular PC monitor and a 42" 1080p LCD set up so I can switch back and forth and hopefully both at the same time.

Comp is mainly going to be used for web surfing, some photoshop, and gaming.

Let me know your thoughts.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It looks good, the only thing I would have changed would have been the PSU. There are better PSU manufacturers out there.
James

Edited by james_8970, 26 July 2008 - 08:48 AM.

Primevi1

Primevi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Yeah I know im still kind of kicking my self for that one, I just got what I thought at the time was a good deal, when I bought my case.

I guess I can just use it later in my HTPC which I plan on building around mATX and upgrade to a Corsair then.

Primevi1

Primevi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
So how do you guys think I should overclock this thing to see maximum gains?

BTW I ended up getting a 750GB 32mb cache HDD and vista premium 32bit all for $190...not bad eh

Primevi1

Primevi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Oh I also forgot to add: I have a 550Va 330W UPS. Will this effect my PSU in anyway that would limit the power available, as I need all of the power I can get?

Also please try and help me out with the question above also.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

So how do you guys think I should overclock this thing to see maximum gains?

Your going to need to increase the CPU frequencies and tweak the timing and sub timings of your RAM. As far as being more specific then this, I simply cannot as I do not have the same motherboard as you. I suggest you read various articles regarding overclocking and if you encounter a problem, to come here. If you want a little help in the BIOS, it would be easiest if you provided a picture of the BIOS and the options that are available to you.

Will this effect my PSU in anyway that would limit the power available, as I need all of the power I can get?

No it will not.
James