Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

please help!

• Please log in to reply

steveie85ca

steveie85ca

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
All the ram you have, and asked about is compatible with the second mobo. I would really suggest the thermal paste. You should use Artic Silver as it is the best. Also you don't need a lot. Only a thin layer as if you have to much it will prevent proper heat transfer from the processor to the heatsink/fan. The sluggishness in the BIOS is more then likely caused by there being no thremal paste, thus improper heat transfer.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you are picking up thermal compound, I suggest you purchase MX-2. It can be found here
The reason why I suggest this thermal compound over the Artic Silver 5 compound is because the MX-2 from Arctic cooling outperforms the Arctic Silver 5 compound and it's ceramic based, therefore it does not conduct electricity, unlike the Arctic Silver 5 compound that does conduct electricity. OCZ Freeze is another good compound to consider, I'd pick up whichever is available and the cheapest option of the two as they perform nearly the same. Note: Be sure that you do not purchase thermal adhesive.

The sluggishness in the BIOS is more then likely caused by there being no thremal paste, thus improper heat transfer.

I'm going to have to agree, sounds like your CPU may be throttling, as it's over heating.
James

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Intel's stock heatsink comes with thermal paste pre-applied... If you are using that (I see nothing that suggests otherwise), everyone is barking up the wrong tree here.

Back to your RAM. Both the Mushkin and OCZ sets you tried are rated to run at 1.8V, which is the default for DDR2. So, this eliminates undervolting the RAM as a problem, but not faulty RAM. You can test for faulty RAM by running Memtest.

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'm getting threads mixed up :)
That being said, the fact that two sets of RAM have been used would essentially rule out the possibility of faulty RAM. Plus faulty RAM wouldn't cause a laggyness in the BIOS.
What BIOS version is being used? This is a relatively new board.....
James