Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

switching out motherboard

• Please log in to reply

trigger6114

trigger6114

• Pip
  • 4 posts
So my mobo is fried, or so I think, and I'm using that to justify buying a new one. Since I carry my computer around a lot, to school and to friends' houses, I want to go with something very small. Now I just want to know if these 2 parts will work together well. I mainly need to know if the PSU is good or not that comes with this case.

I run,

GeForce7900 GS
1gig ram (not sure of the speed atm)
Core 2 6600
320 hdd
22inch monitor

I'm running on a 500watt no name brand cpu now, and i dont see to have a problem. The thing is, I love the micro cases, but I'm worried that the powersupply wont be adequate. I don't play FPS at the highest quality, or barely at all. I dont OC, and I dont run SLI. I will eventually upgrade, but not for a long time, except maybe more RAM (because I'm broke). So will this unit work well? or is there something I should change while still keeping price low? I mostly use my computer for media purposes, pictures, movies, TV, things like that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811144139

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131230

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

The Apevia PSU in that case is poor quality, and may very well not last long at all. I strongly urge you to purchase a higher quality unit, such as this Corsair.

The motherboard you have selected is fine, but very basic, and only has two slots for RAM - just a note for you, as you intend to upgrade the RAM in the near future. Two slots will limit simple upgrades, meaning you may have to remove the current setup just to get the upgrade.

Cheers

Troy