Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free Internet Access

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

+Attitude_Weber+

+Attitude_Weber+

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello Everone!

I want to get free Access to Internet ? Can anyone tell me How can I get it ?.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Usually your local library will offer internet access free to the public. Most times you just need to sign up for a free library card. If your talking about stealing free internet than you will not receive help from the people here.

+Attitude_Weber+

+Attitude_Weber+

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
First of all getting internet for free is not stealing . For your information when internet started it was free to access but after sometime many companies started providing it at some cost , following it many other companies started this in order to earn profit , just profit... !! .

But thats not the topic , Can you tell how to sign up for a free library card? and how to connect to local library?

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Well if you mean free internet at home - don't expect it.

In spite of that there is free internet availible in certain areas. These are known as WiFi or Wireless Hotspots. You can usually find them at libraries (like mentioned above), some cafes, certain shops and generally in business areas - most of the time these are free to access but sometimes certain hotspots require a password or a subscription. But of course your going to have to make sure that you have a Wireless Network Card before you can access these :)

Other than that, looking into purchasing monthly internet is a better option - often if you have a mobile phone or a home phone, you can bundle them in with broadband and get a good deal :)

Hope this helps you with your inquiry and if you have any questions furthermore, please don't hesitate to ask :)

Edited by TechSabre, 24 July 2008 - 07:15 AM.

+Attitude_Weber+

+Attitude_Weber+

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok , so there is no way to access internet at no cost?????

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
No - Not unless you want to seek out an open WiFi hotspot and stay there for internet.

+Attitude_Weber+

+Attitude_Weber+

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Just one last thing , Please tell me the proceger for it ???? and will it cost , if yes how much?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Just one last thing , Please tell me the proceger for it ???? and will it cost , if yes how much?

first...it's "procedure" (you should check out Iespell check)

second....the procedure depends on what you're connecting to and where...any wireless hotspot (free or otherwise) is going to have an instruction booklet somewhere on site....all starbucks coffee shops have wireless some are free MOST are not and the ones that are free are only free if you buy a coffee from the store or something. if your local library has free internet access they will be able to tell you what you need to do to have that connection available to you

First of all getting internet for free is not stealing .

ACTUALLY...it is stealing unless you're getting your access from a location that EXPLICITLY states that it's access is provided free of charge...if you connect to your neighbor's wireless network because they didn't set up the security correctly then you're stealing his internet access...it's theft of service because you're using a service that you didn't pay for...

and the internet is free....getting a connection to a system that allows you access to the internet is not...people tend to get the term "THE internet" and "a connection to THE internet" confused...THE internet is a network of servers across the planet that serve web pages, applications, etc... to the public (some at a cost some not)...a connection to THE internet is what your ISP provides....you use THEIR connection media (i.e. their cables, wires, switches, routers, CSUs, DSUs, frame relays, etc.. etc.. etc..) so you're not paying for the internet...you're paying for the right to use the ISP's equipment to access the internet... it's like saying that cab drivers are charging you to use the roads in New York...they're not...they're charging you for the use of their car that gives you access to the roads of New York

+Attitude_Weber+

+Attitude_Weber+

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Cant I create my own ip to access internet ?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think you're going to need to do some more research on how networking, the internet, heck computers work before we're going to be able to accurately answer your questions..

IP stands for Internet Protocol and it's protocol that's used for networking
IP address stands for Internet Protocol Address and it's a unique address that's assigned to everything that's ever been networked under TCP/IP
ISP (what i'm assuming you meant to type) stands for Internet Service Provider...and sure...if you have the cash (millions) to invest in the infrastructure needed to actually facilitate connecting to the global network you could make your own ISP

Advertisements

+Attitude_Weber+

+Attitude_Weber+

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Can you just tell which organisation control internet ? , I mean which looks after it , which gives ip , which allows to display webpages and all other things ?? . And where is it located ?.

Thanx in advance!!!!!!

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
There is no single organization that controls the Internet. The closest would have to be IANA (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority). As the name implies, all it does, simply, is to regulate who gets what IP address to make sure that no one gets the same address.

There's also the International Internet Authority that's more into managing/organizing domain names. Domain names are the names that you associate with a website like com, org, uk, etc.

As far as displaying web pages, no one controls that but the one who creates it. The closest to the Internet authority that you're looking for would have to be your Internet Service Provider, who is giving you the web pages your viewing right now.

FYI, there are LOTS of ISP's scattered all over the globe. My ISP for example is PLDT. My schools ISP is, uhm, I forgot! :)

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Well said, ditrackster.

As I don't live in India, I can't tell you exactly which companies can provide you with internet access (there will be a fee of-course), but if you can bundle your home phone services with your mobile services you will always most likely be able to get a cheaper deal if you have all three going at once with the same provider :) Just give them a call.

Also, just wondering - how are you currently getting the Internet? You must clearly be accessing it if your posting here :)

EDIT: I just realized - are you currently using internet that you are already paying for and you created this topic because you wanted to know if there were any ways of getting the Internet for free?

Edited by TechSabre, 25 July 2008 - 05:14 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
this conversation is going nowhere....

what exactly are you trying to achieve?

if it's free internet...it's not going to happen....if it's cheap internet....go shopping around and find the lowest price

+Attitude_Weber+

+Attitude_Weber+

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Aarrrr Moderator Uncle , gusa kyu hota ho! Aap ke marzee , chalo ish topic ko close karo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........actually mujhe bhi jada timepass karne ka shock nai hai!!!!!.......................

But thanx for all the information!!!