Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote Access - how to set it up?

• Please log in to reply

Anton43234

Anton43234

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Dear Geeks!

Here is the thing. I have a great network at home. There is a local network in my city and I have connected to it (beautiful, no limit on speeds just everything a geek would need, not that I am one..). i got wifi at home and everything. The network even provides stuff like IPTV and other.

But here's a problem. I travel a lot and don't use computer at home that much. But I would love to enjoy IPTV and other features (like ApexDC) when I am travelling (with internet connection). So, is there a way to remotely connect to my local network? What software do I need? Mac? Or Windows only? Would it be possible to do this without computer at home being turned on?

Appreciate all help and let Internet help us all.

:)

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
This is possible for remote administration but you will not be able to get advanced graphical applications going such as movies or games. There are tons of options for remote access. Many are multi-platform. You do have lots of options:

VPN
VNC
RDP
SSH
Telnet

Just put any of the above in to wikipedia for more information.

Anton43234

Anton43234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Will I be able to use them without the home computer being on?

ShortGirl2

ShortGirl2

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
No- no matter what program that you are using, you won't be able to remotely access your machine at home without it being on! It would be awfully hard to access your machine if it's not on.. :)

Anton43234

Anton43234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah, but I have a wifi router. Does that change anything?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Maybe we have different understandings of "off"?

Firebucket

Firebucket

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Things like VNC and Remote Desktop Connection may fill your plate.
I use UltraVNC everyday and it works excellently, but I can't recieve remote sound.
If you create another User Account on your Home PC, and then use Remote Desktop, you can use that :)

http://www.microsoft...emoteintro.mspx <--- This may help you if you're using Windows XP Pro.

FireB

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You both should be aware that it is not uncommon for security exploits to arise within VNC applications.