Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How can you recover XP Product code?

• Please log in to reply

edenn

edenn

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I am trying to repair my nephew's computer. I ran several anti virus programs to find the problem, and found that the "rundll32.exe" appears to have been corrupted. I tried several things that did not work, so I decided to take his computer home with me where I would have more time to work on it. After 10 plus frustrating hours, I took my XP Installation disc and did a repair. After the repair function was completed, it asked for the PRODUCT CODE. I put in the product code from my disc, and it rejected the code, so I called my nephew, and used his product code, it was rejected also.

I have tried jellybean, and get the error message "out of range". I can not get into windows until I can satisfy the product code issue. I have used Bart PC, and can access the hard drive through dos, and have been able to run regedit, but do not know how to locate the product code.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Depending on who set up the computer, I know Dells actually put it in the BIOS. If not usually they have a Windows sticker on the outside of the case with the code.

edenn

edenn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for your reply. It is not a Dell. I think he had someone build this computer from scratch. I do not recognize the computer from the name on the case "Nobillis".

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Unfortunately Windows will encrypt the key in the registry. So you have to write down the encrypted key, then use an online tool that can decrypt it for you.

This is a nice step by step Here

At the end when you find the key just write down the last 8 digits of line 30, all of 38 and the first 6 digits of line 40. This will give you 30 characters.

Take that info and put it in the decrypter Here

That will give you the key thats installed.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the manufactures site is here...
also you can try these for the key...here

Edited by happyrck, 23 July 2008 - 03:04 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Download something called Belarc Advisor and install it. It will produce a page which will provide all the software keys and a lot more information. If you can, print the page out for later use. It is very handy to have during a reinstall. BTW some installation disks install with a built in key which is not the same as the box sticker key.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
hi Tyger...you must have missed this in the original post..

I can not get into windows until I can satisfy the product code issue.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

hi Tyger...you must have missed this in the original post..

I can not get into windows until I can satisfy the product code issue.

I did miss that.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
no big deal...we ALL miss things... :)

edenn

edenn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks to all of you. I have tried all suggestions, and have come to the conclusion that my data is just trash. Soooooo, I am bitting the bullet and doing a clean install.

Thanks again to all.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Oh no, you have not lost your data. There is a very easy way to recover your files, if you have any on the drive. Oh yes, one more thing have you tried hitting the F8 key and going into Safe Mode, I know you could do that on Win98, I haven't tried on XP.

But as far as recovering any files, you can download a version of Linux called Nimblex Sub100, it's less that 100mb file size, then you burn it to disk as an image. You can then boot from it and copy any files you have to a fat32 formatted hard drive, or boot it by loading into ram, then remove the Linux disk and place a blank CD in the drive and burn your files to it as a data CD.

edenn

edenn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I am reinstalling now. The only real data that he really wanted was his photos. I was able to save them to a memory stick by booting up with BartPE.

Thanks again.

Phil S

Phil S

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Where do I find my product key in the registry without getting a software product? I have SP3.

Edited by Phil S, 19 April 2010 - 08:05 PM.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
http://www.magicalje....com/keyfinder/