Just got a new Dell Quad-core machine with Vista installed on it. Since Dell already has the main HD partitioned into 3 primary partitions (one is a header of some sort, the 2nd D: is "Recovery" and the 3rd is C: where the OS is installed), I have no choice but to install XP on a 2nd physical hard drive - which is fine as I have a Seagate 200GB drive handy.
So I'm not exactly OS or hardware savvy and need someone to show me step by step the best and easiest way to do this.
I currently have HD#2 (let's call it F: ) installed in my old computer as a secondary drive. The old computer has XP installed on the C: drive but I don't want to image it and restore it onto F: because of all the accumulated crap on it. I want a clean install of XP on F:
1. Install XP from my old machine and transfer the HD #2 ( F: ) over to my new computer and then install the necessary drivers
2. Connect the 2nd physical HD to my new machine and install XP from installation disk in CD drive?
I am aware of the issues with Vista and the need to fix the boot loader file... so I downloaded EasyBCD...
Immediate concerns/questions include:
1. If I install XP onto F: drive on OLD machine and then transfer to new machine, how will Vista "see" or recognize that there is another OS on the secondary HD?
2. If I install XP onto F: drive from NEW machine, I'm afraid of wiping out Vista... as a side note, I tried installing XP onto a separate partition on main HD of new machine (before I realized Dell had already 3 primary partitions already allocated) and got the Blue Screen of Death where Windows stalls at "Setup is starting Windows" and eventually gives me a fatal error. Although it never got far enough to ask me which drive I wanted to install it on, so I don't think the lack of a primary partition had anything to do with it. Not sure what to do about this one if I get it again...
3. Regardless of which machine I install XP on to the F: drive, I'm concerned about the drive letter assignment. After I install XP and boot XP from 2nd HD, will this drive show up as C: or F:? What will happen when I try to install software apps on this 2nd physical HD? Will they be installed on F: or C: ??? How do I prevent it from overwriting the REAL C: drive that has Vista installed on it?
4. My Seagate HD is ATA/IDE and the HD on my new machine is a SATA RAID (the one with Vista on it) or at least that's what it shows under Devices. Will that be a problem? Or will booting make the 1st HD "invisible" hence not an issue?
Sorry, first time I'm doing anything like this... and I don't want to screw up.
Can someone give me some advice as to the best way to go about this?
Thanks a bunch!
Edited by Neofyte, 23 July 2008 - 12:16 PM.