Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dual OS install on 2 physical HD's - How do I do this?

• Please log in to reply

Neofyte

Neofyte

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello! Hope someone can help me with this. I'm a bit of newbie!

Just got a new Dell Quad-core machine with Vista installed on it. Since Dell already has the main HD partitioned into 3 primary partitions (one is a header of some sort, the 2nd D: is "Recovery" and the 3rd is C: where the OS is installed), I have no choice but to install XP on a 2nd physical hard drive - which is fine as I have a Seagate 200GB drive handy.

So I'm not exactly OS or hardware savvy and need someone to show me step by step the best and easiest way to do this.

I currently have HD#2 (let's call it F: ) installed in my old computer as a secondary drive. The old computer has XP installed on the C: drive but I don't want to image it and restore it onto F: because of all the accumulated crap on it. I want a clean install of XP on F:

Should I....

1. Install XP from my old machine and transfer the HD #2 ( F: ) over to my new computer and then install the necessary drivers

OR

2. Connect the 2nd physical HD to my new machine and install XP from installation disk in CD drive?

I am aware of the issues with Vista and the need to fix the boot loader file... so I downloaded EasyBCD...

Immediate concerns/questions include:

1. If I install XP onto F: drive on OLD machine and then transfer to new machine, how will Vista "see" or recognize that there is another OS on the secondary HD?

2. If I install XP onto F: drive from NEW machine, I'm afraid of wiping out Vista... as a side note, I tried installing XP onto a separate partition on main HD of new machine (before I realized Dell had already 3 primary partitions already allocated) and got the Blue Screen of Death where Windows stalls at "Setup is starting Windows" and eventually gives me a fatal error. Although it never got far enough to ask me which drive I wanted to install it on, so I don't think the lack of a primary partition had anything to do with it. Not sure what to do about this one if I get it again...

3. Regardless of which machine I install XP on to the F: drive, I'm concerned about the drive letter assignment. After I install XP and boot XP from 2nd HD, will this drive show up as C: or F:? What will happen when I try to install software apps on this 2nd physical HD? Will they be installed on F: or C: ??? How do I prevent it from overwriting the REAL C: drive that has Vista installed on it?

4. My Seagate HD is ATA/IDE and the HD on my new machine is a SATA RAID (the one with Vista on it) or at least that's what it shows under Devices. Will that be a problem? Or will booting make the 1st HD "invisible" hence not an issue?

Sorry, first time I'm doing anything like this... and I don't want to screw up.

Can someone give me some advice as to the best way to go about this?

Thanks a bunch!

Edited by Neofyte, 23 July 2008 - 12:16 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
What I would do is disconnect the Vista drive completely and make the new drive the master and do the XP installation. Then switch the new drive back to the slave and put Vista as master, unless you prefer it the other way, then modify the boot.ini, or it's equivalent in Vista, to boot the other drive as an option. I can't tell you how to do this but I suspect many people have done it and you will find much help with our friend Google.

Neofyte

Neofyte

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Tyger - Funny you say that. I was thinking of doing a fresh install of XP on the OLD computer (with your suggested method) because that way I can at least get the OS installed and then hopefully move the HD (with the new XP on it) over to the Vista machine, download and install the necessary drivers... and then do the bootfile changes, and try to configure the dual boot option but I still don't know how to fix the machine's boot.ini file (or whatever it's called in Vista?) or how to set up the dual boot.

Anybody out there know? I'm a complete newbie with this stuff!

Thanks!!

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Thanks Tyger - Funny you say that. I was thinking of doing a fresh install of XP on the OLD computer (with your suggested method) because that way I can at least get the OS installed and then hopefully move the HD (with the new XP on it) over to the Vista machine, download and install the necessary drivers... and then do the bootfile changes, and try to configure the dual boot option but I still don't know how to fix the machine's boot.ini file (or whatever it's called in Vista?) or how to set up the dual boot.

Anybody out there know? I'm a complete newbie with this stuff!

Thanks!!

you can't install xp on one machine and move it to another.... unless they are identical and saying you'd install drivers after moving eliminates that possibility... at the very least if you did that you'd still have to do a repair install of xp....