Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System restore will not work

• Please log in to reply

Dazed&Confused08

Dazed&Confused08

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Whenever my anitvirus tries to create a restore point before a scan, it fails. I have tried to do it manually and it still will not work. I disabled and enabled it several times. I keep recieving the message: System restore failed to create a restore point. Please restart the computer and run System restore again. I've tried this several times, and nothing happens. It's not malware my computer was pronounced clean earlier this month when I was having some other problems fixed. I think there maybe something wrong in the registry.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Check out this KB Article from Microsoft, it may fix your issue.

Dazed&Confused08

Dazed&Confused08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
i tried it, and it didn't work.

matofthemint

matofthemint

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I was having the same problem and nothing worked, even using Safe Mode. I happened to notice that SuperAntiSpyware has a repair option for Restore. I tried that and have had no problems since. So you might download the free version and give it a try - it won't hurt and you can always un-install it.

Dazed&Confused08

Dazed&Confused08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
i'll try it, but i first wanted to see if someone could help me with my registry, and see if it's missing something.

Old Geezer

Old Geezer

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Have you tried this?

SYSTEM RESTORE DOES NOT WORK
your system restore must be disabled

check your group policy editor

run command gpedit.msc > computer configuration >admin templates >system > system restore ..if its disabled ..then enable it

also check if your system restore service is enabled

run command>services.msc

Dazed&Confused08

Dazed&Confused08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
yes, i've tried both those and neither work