Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

admin password

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

labesl2

labesl2

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a problem with my xp pro - vgaoem.fon missing. I tried fixing this using my cd - recovery console. It asked me for a password I don't know the admin password that was used on the computer is there a way to reset or change it?

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
If you have lost or forgotten your password for logging in to a computer running the Windows XP operating system, there are a few different options:

If you created a password reset disk for Windows XP, you can use that disk to reset the password on your account. For more information on how to create and use password reset disks go to the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer that is not a domain member in Windows XP

How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer in a domain in Windows XP

If you don't have a password reset disk, the other option is to log on as the Administrator (or to have the person who is the machine's Administrator log on) and change the password for your user account. For information on how to do this go to the following Mircosoft article:

http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q321305

How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your Password Expires.

If you don't know the Administrator password, and don't have a password reset disk, then you will not be able to log on to Windows XP, and will need to reinstall the operating system and recreate any user accounts.

labesl2

labesl2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I gues I was not clear on my prev. posting, I think it is looking for the local computer password. I tried going to set up to check if password it said it is not. But when I tried to use the recovery console to repair the problem, Ileft the password field blank and press enter but it keeps asking for a password.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello labesl2

unfortuantly here at G2G we cannot assist in this matter as this would be classed as bypassing passwords and we do not support that here so we are unable to help you any further on this fourm.

While such requests are often legitimate, and come from users who experience exactly the kind of problem that you post, we have no way of determining legitimate vs. not legitimate, therefore we do not respond to such requests.

Regards

labesl2

labesl2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
I uderstand your concern this is legit, the company own it. Dell won't not have send me a copy of the cd. I actually just had dell send me a copy of the XP Pro OS CD since the guy who used this machine and installed the program on this machine is no longer with the company ( didn't turn over this info to anybody). I need to fix the vgaoem.fon problem on the machine with out going to the exteme (reinstalling XP)- I have inportant files. I tried reapairing/running Windows XP using the cd and I got to the point where it tried to install the VGAoem.fon then a message came up the it can not install the file. It went back to the screen where it I have the option to retry installing it. I hit enter a few times but it keep getting the measage. Has anybody encounter this without having to reinstall the XP OS?

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,640 posts
Man labesl2 this is just not your lucky day... since it’s a company owned PC you should know this, as per our turms of use we offer free computer help and tech support for home and personal use. We are not here to support others that work for profit, or to support/replace your company's IT department.

Sorry :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you've been given the only solutions that anyone here will give in post #2 i suggest you stay on the phone with dell

topic closed