Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

c:\windows\system32\windupdate.exe error

• Please log in to reply

KipJones1

KipJones1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

When I start my computer, I get the following messages: Windows cannot find c:\Windows\system32\winupdate.exe. When I hit ok, I get another message: Could not load or run c:Windows\system32\winupdate.exe.

My Internet speed has been getting slower and slower.

I ran an updated McAfee virus scan and it came up with nothing.

Please help.

Thanks,
Kip

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello KipJones1 and welcome to Geeks To Go

The message you are getting is telling me your installation is corrupt and needs to be repaired, please read this post by admin

If at the end of the repair it asks you to create a user account don't as you will lose all your data, instead select skip this step and this should fix your problem.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 23 July 2008 - 02:30 PM.

KipJones1

KipJones1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Wizzy. So my installation, you think, was corrupted by a virus? Can you tell by the error message if this is the case?

Kip

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello KipJones1

It can go corrupt by alot of things starting off from a simple program install to virus problems and it can also be alot of other things.

I cannot tell by the message but the file that is missing I don't think can be re-installed from the disk otherwise I would take a different approach to this, however doing a repair installation should take care of this message for you :)

Regards