Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Incorrect Function Error with CDR/DVDR

• Please log in to reply

rjcaldwell

rjcaldwell

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Not sure which forum to post my problem to so I'll try this one.
When I insert a blank CDR or DVDR into my dual burning drive I get the following error: F:\ is not accessible, Incorrect Function" I have burned many, many CD's and DVD's with the drive. Windows used to ask me what I wanted to do with the blank CDR and I would open explorer and copy files to the drive and then burn them. Now I get the error.
I did a Google search for the problem and was led to believe that a bad Windows Update was the problem (I use Windows XP SP2 with all the updates). MS (Windows) has nothing useful about the problem. Another Google search mentioned that Nero or INcd might be the problem so I uninstalled Nero. No help. Finally one source said that my main authoring program, Roxio Easy Media Creator (v7.5) was the problem. Reinstalling it will be a pain! What should I try next?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
how about trying different media?

rjcaldwell

rjcaldwell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Tried a different brand of CDR with no luck. Upon someones advice I right clicked the gurner drive in question and got to its properties. Under the Recording Section I put a check mark at enable CD recording on this drive.
Now when I insert a blank disk an empty folder appears for the drive with no instructions as what do I want to do with the drive.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
hmm.... sounds like autorun is disabled.

How To Enable/Disable Autorun (Windows XP)

1. Open Windows Explorer by pressing the Windows + "e" key.
2. Right-click the desired CD-ROM and select Properties from the menu.
3. Select the AutoPlay tab.
4. Select each item from the pulldown list and for the Action to perform, select "Take no action" to disable autorun, or pick the apporpriate action to take if enabling autorun.
5. Select OK.