Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

TJ. Temp

• Please log in to reply

Bushisland

Bushisland

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi,
How do I know what TJ. Max Temp to use when monitoring my CPU with? I know Intel does not give out this secret, so what do I use 95 degrees or 105 degrees? I want to try some OCing and 10'C will make a big difference. I have a Evga 750i FTW MoBo and Q9450 CPU.
Thanks

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The Q9450 has a TJmax of 95*C.
If you are monitoring your temps, I suggest you give RealTemp a try. It can be found here.
James

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thanks James. I have RealTemp and CoreTemp which I have now changed the TJ value to 95 degrees. My BIOS shows CPU 42'C and Board at 29'C. Both programs showing highest core temp at 39'C. Does this seem OK to you? I'm overclocked at 3.2G and FSB 1600MHz. CPU core at 1.275 and CPU FSB set at auto (1.30V). This is my first build and am getting my feet wet. Hope I don't drown. :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I really could explain the differences between the BIOS temp and the software temp as you'd think the BIOS temp would be the coolest..... though I have never really compared this on my computer. That being said, Intel's site does state that the chip has a TJmax of 95W, as you can see here.
If you have any further questions, ask away :)
James

Edited by james_8970, 23 July 2008 - 08:30 PM.

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thanks James. I sure I will have lots of questions when I get further into overclocking. I'm pretty green at it. Still doing a lot of online reading on the subject. I have not done anything with the memory yet (RedLines 5-5-5-12 1000MHz) accept switch it to linked and on Auto. I'll get back to the forum shortly. Time to play!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

RedLines 5-5-5-12 1000MHz

I've got the same memory. It's pretty good stuff, though I do find it is a little touchy with temperatures.
James

Edited by james_8970, 24 July 2008 - 09:25 PM.

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi,
On the subject of memory; is it best to have it linked, unlinked , or auto when OCing the cpu? This is where I am right now. I set the cpu CORE at 1.250V, the cpu FSB at 1.25V, memory at 2.1V. I set the FSB to 1600MHz (3.2G). Memory to LINKED, memory ratio to AUTO (running at 960MHz.) Memory timing settings I set to OPTIMAL. They say it is best to have it linked and the FSB and memory ratio should be 1:1. I don't know how to get it there. What should I be doing first? If any more info is needed, please let me know.

Edited by Bushisland, 27 July 2008 - 10:46 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

On the subject of memory; is it best to have it linked, unlinked , or auto when OCing the cpu?

Linked.

Memory timing settings I set to OPTIMAL.

I suggest you change everything from this auto setting to a manual setting if you want the best performance out of your kit. Mushkin has a database that'll help youi find these timings, I suggest you post there for some feedback on your memory settings. Greg is very helpful. I suggest posting here.
http://forums.mushki...c47859515750760

They say it is best to have it linked and the FSB and memory ratio should be 1:1.

Used to be the case, now the answer is more complex. If you are adjusting the frequencies, you need to fool around with some benchmark software to verify whether or not your bandwidth is increasing or decreasing with your adjustments. You want it to be increasing after your adjustments.

What should I be doing first? If any more info is needed, please let me know.

If you'd like more detailed information as to how to change various settings, your going to need to post a picture of what your BIOS overclocking features look like.
James

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi James,
I have the memory set to linked. I have set timing settings manually to some that Greg gave me from NCIX forums, that I had forgotten about. I do not know what to set the FSB memory ratio to . I have 5 options: auto, 1:1, 5:4, 3:2, and sync mode. Right now it is set to auto. As for the pictures of the BIOS windows, that will have to wait as my digital camera is broken. Getting a new one on the weekend. :) I have a webcam but that will not be loaded while in the BIOS. I don"t think there is any other way to take a snap shot. (But I could be wrong)
bushisland

Edited by Bushisland, 28 July 2008 - 07:09 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I have set timing settings manually to some that Greg gave me from NCIX forums

Great, never knew you posted there.

Alright, sounds good. Changing the ratio will change the frequency of your RAM and it's directly related to the FSB frequency. This is displayed differently on every BIOS, when you select the manual selection, tell me what you see. I can then explain how it works while we await for your digital camera.
James

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
OK James, here goes.

system clocks
parameters
frequency settings.................settings..........current value
frequency setting...................1600.0............1600.0
pcie freq................................100

fsb & memory config
parameters...........................setting..........current value
current cpu freq, mhz.............3200.0.............3200.0
cpu multiplier.........................8x.....................8x
fsb- mem clock mode.............. linked
fsb-mem ratio.........................auto
fsb (qdr), mhz.........................1600.............. 1600.0
actual fsb 9qdr), mhz...............1600.0
mem (ddr), mhz...................linked................960.0
actual mem (ddr), mhz............960.0

I have wrote it all down, so I can give you more when you need it.

Update: Here is some settings that Greg just gave me to try. I will change the settings and get back to you.
[attachment=22428:ScreenShot009.jpg]
bushisland

Edited by Bushisland, 01 August 2008 - 04:46 PM.