Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio from iMac

• Please log in to reply

xHHHx

xHHHx

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have finally got around to connecting my intel-based iMac to my stereo amp and speakers.

I bought a 3.5mm stereo jack to 2xRCA/Phono and plugged the stereo RCAs straight into my amp - however the sound is only coming through in mono.

I have checked my settings to make sure that my mac is sending sound in stereo and indeed it is. So I'm a bit baffled to be honest. I have check that my stereo sends stereo sound in other modes other than aux and it does. I have also checked that other aux devices (my turntables) work in stereo; they work perfectly. When I plug headphones into the jack socket on the back of the iMac the sound comes through in stereo!!

I like to consider myself fairly tech-savvy but this has completely beaten me! Any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is that the 3.5mm jack socket on the back of my iMac has the contacts in 2 different places to differentiate between headphones and speaker devices - but I can't find any instruction of this and it seems wholly pointless for Apple to do this. Anybody wiser than I am about this I would appreciate some help

P.S - Also I have checked the cable from my MP3 player to my amp and works fine in stereo sound

Edited by xHHHx, 23 July 2008 - 04:55 PM.

Advertisements