Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help, computer stopped working

• Please log in to reply

confusedfox

confusedfox

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Help, my computer has just died. It was functioning normally, then it froze, when into an installing updates sequence and then turned itself off. When I turned it back on the initial Packard Bell screen appeared, and then just went blank with a flashing cursor in top left hand corner. And that is it. The computer had Norton installed on it with uptodate virus definitions.

I am writing this from the second family computer, and in case it is a virus problem I am running an online virus scan from F secure.

Any suggestions as to what I might do? Windows Vista was pre-installed so I don't seem to have an installation disk for the operating system.

Thanks hopefully

Advertisements

confusedfox

confusedfox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Panic over. I left the computer completely powered down for an hour. When I restarted it went into a couting mode and then finished installing the vista updates and seems ok now.

I have an additional connected question now. Do I need to start a new topic? As I have just realised that I don't have an installation disk for windows vista is it possible to create one so that if I do have a total failue in the future I have a disk to boot up from.