Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows suddenly thinks i've got a RAID controller

• Please log in to reply

BW-001

BW-001

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,

I just rebooted my computer, and all of sudden it lets me know it wants to search for the drivers for my RAID device.
This would be very nice, if i HAD a RAID controller :)
My computer isn't very state-of-the-art, my harddisks are just IDE disks
and I haven't opened my machine for at least a week, so it seems quite improbable a raid device has sneaked into it.

Also, somehow my system restore won't work anymore. I keep getting errors,
and i've searched this forum and other places for solutions, but they just don't seem to help.

And now I come to think of it, it seems my BIOS had returned to the default settings all by itself when I booted this morning. But then I didn't get the message about a raid controller, that just happened when i rebooted.

I can't remember installing a new program or downloading anything that might have caused any of these changes to my system.
Does anyone have a clue about what's going on?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most modern BIOSes do have some form of RAID on them. For the home user its typically turned off, though where its used it's normally not in RAID mode in the first place.

Go into the BIOS and look for an option to turn RAID off, or the hard drive type to SATA or IDE. The options vary depending on your board.
However you may have a defective motherboard battery, these you can find for next to nothing price-wise.