Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installation problems

• Please log in to reply

Mandolin Bee

Mandolin Bee

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Really, all my troubles started when I attempted to use Windows Update to install SP3. My PC would freeze part way through the installation, and I would have to do a hard reset.

After this, I did NOT get the "unstable system" warnings, nor was the SP3 update in my add/remove programs for me to undo anything it had already done. I -believe- that the installer wasn't even getting far enough to actually change anything before freezing.

After this, I gave up on SP3 because I didn't feel like reformatting my windows. I wanted to try a freebie MMO, and on trying to install that, my system locked up during the installation.

I am NOT getting BSOD's.

At this point, my computer freezes randomly. I'd like to fix it, but I'm not sure of the source of the problem, so I don't know where to start. Could it be Malware? Could the sheer number of things I have installed/uninstalled (yes, I do it a lot) contribute to the problem? Do I start with a windows repair and see if that helps? I'm concerned about windows repair because my XP CD is a really old one, and I don't know if it can be "too" old. Plus, do I need to save my product key from my current install or get a new one (I actually lost the sticker that had it on it).

One thing I did try already was to go back to a restore point prior to doing the SP3 install. That didn't seem to fix anything.

What should I do?

Edited by Mandolin Bee, 23 July 2008 - 06:20 PM.

Advertisements

Mandolin Bee

Mandolin Bee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Can I bump this after so long? I don't mean to be a pest.

I'm relatively good with computers and great at following directions. ^_^ If you can tell me where to start... will the Windows Repair be okay with the old disk I have, or will it create more problems than it solves?

Would it be a good idea for me to post a HijackThis log right now? I was avoiding doing so because it may not be necessary just yet.

Any help? Thanks.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Before doing anything else I would run memtest86 on your machine. You can put it on a floppy or CD and boot from it. The problems you describe could easily be caused by faulty memory and it would be a great waste of time to try other fixes before eliminating that. Let it run for at least an hour and see if any errors occur. It will list them.

Mandolin Bee

Mandolin Bee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you very much for responding.

I did as you directed and ran memtest86 at boot from a CD. I let it run for an hour and a half, and it said it had completed its pass and found no errors, and was apparently in the middle of a second pass when I canceled it.