Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Crash :(

• Please log in to reply

zimbra

zimbra

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a hardware/ software problem ( I think hardware) where my whole system crashes during more processor intensive games. The game simply freezes up for about 4 seconds then it's lights out. I am having this problem with a new system I just built (it's my first build so forgive me if I'm a little clueless). The system is a quad core barbone kit that had everything, but cd drive hard drive and os. Thats important because I recycled my operating system, hard drives and cd drives from my old computer (a compaq persario). I'm using a 2002 version of windows xp home with service pack 3. I think it could be a hardware problem because the games it crashes on (c&c 3 and civ 4 mainly) worked just fine on my previous computer, but I think it could also, maybe, be a softwaer problem because my version of windows xp is a compaq tweaked version (slightly modified for a few features to make it a little different). I was wondering if maybee that factor may play a role. And by the way, when the system re-boots there is NO error message, just hap-happy windows. It's not an overheating problem either because the CPU temp is well within max limits (53C@ max Load).

My system:
Intel Q6600 2.4ghz
Intel DG31PR Motherboard
Power Up GEN-6803 800w psu
2gb corsair ddr2800
Windows XP home edition v2002 w/ sp3

Please Help! I would hate to have to return my new comp,

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Does Windows crash, or just the game? If your game is crashing and you are only using the onboard video card, then it's because you video card is not capable of handling your games. That onboard GPU was designed for business' in mind, not games.
James

Edited by james_8970, 24 July 2008 - 09:49 PM.

zimbra

zimbra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Dang, I forgot to post my video card in my original post srry, but I'm using a nividia ge-force 8400, not the greatest, but hey it plays old to medium old games. the system fails and then it turns back on. I'm checking the psu, but nothing yet

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
A nVidia 8400 GPU isn't much better then onboard graphics and will struggle with recent titles, if even play them at all. I'm not sure what games you are trying to play, so it's difficult to tell of your GPU is capable of playing the games you wish to play. I suggest you go to this site. It'll tell you if your hardware is sufficiant for the games you wish to play.
James

Edited by james_8970, 27 July 2008 - 06:21 PM.

zimbra

zimbra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey Thanks, thats a great site, but it tested my system and said that I should be able to run the games that I'm crashing on, but I'm getting all the driver updates so who knows, that might work.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
What resolution are you attempting to run? Is windows crashing or is it just the game?
James

zimbra

zimbra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm Running at 1024 by 768 pixels. Windows is crashing, or the system is at least, when it crashes it has to reboot from the begining as if it was off. I'm in the process of testing my power supply to se if it is defective (it was a realy cheap one for 800W so that could be the problem).

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Alright, if your system is crashing, then it's highly unlikely to be your GPUs fault. How do you intend on testing your PSU? I'm not going to lie, you do have a very cheap PSU, but even it should be able to support your computer as you are not straining it at all.

Firstly I want to rule out your memory, please follow the instructions below.
Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible.

James

Edited by james_8970, 29 July 2008 - 08:17 PM.

zimbra

zimbra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well it seem the PSU is not at fault because I swapped it out with a 600W PSU and I still have the same problem, though with the new PSU the game played for a long time wile it would crash within a minute or two before. I ran memtest and passed four trials with zero errors, but I'll run it overnight tonight just to be sertain.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Alright, keep me updated. Assuming the memory passes, next we will check if there is an over heating issue.
James

zimbra

zimbra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well it ran all night last night and there was still no errors so whats next?