Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Repair XP Question

• Please log in to reply

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

I have just finished helping a friend replace his motherboard, the last one was faulty. The computer works fine now (hardware-wise), but he cannot find his Windows XP Media Centre Edition disc. The COA sticker is on the case, so it's legit. :)

I was going to run a repair install to get everything up and running after the hardware change, but obviously we're going nowhere without the disc... (He's still looking!)

So, to my question - is it possible to be able to get the thing to boot at all, and then change the drivers around? A former IT consultant tells me it's possible by loading generic hard drive drivers onto the XP installation, so that it can boot up. Is this possible? I'm inclined not to believe him, because I can't find "generic hard drive drivers" anywhere. Has anybody heard of this or got some kind of answer to get this thing going?

Or are we just going to have to wait until the disc is found?

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I'm inclined to think that you're probably stuck without the disc. I've never heard of "Generic hard drive drivers" either.