Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WINDOWS XP BOOT HELP, NOTHING IS WORKING

• Please log in to reply

kimd14

kimd14

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:) I have windows xp home edition upgrade on my computer. i previously had windows ME. i cannot get windows to boot up. i get the error message: windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. windows root/system32/hal.dll. i have tried the recovery console and followed steps to resolve this but when i type in bootcfg/list, it says there are currently no boot entries available to display. when i type in bootcfg/rebuild it says error: failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations. this error may be caused by a corrupt file system which would prevent bootcfg from successfully scanning. also, at the c: prompt it doesn't say windows. i then tried to repair using my xp upgrade cd but the screen says set up could not read the cd you inserted or the cd is not a valid windows cd. i bought this xp upgrade at best buy myself. i then tried my Windows Me cd i got with my gateway computer and it couldn't read that either. i have 3 cds that came with my computer. system restoration kits disc's 1, 2, and 3. i tried all of them and none worked. when i put the xp cd in it also said it could not detect any earlier windows installations. i checked my BIOS to see it my cd drive was first and it was. i don't know what else to do. my computer is 7 years old, should i even bother tring to fix it? any suggestions would be really appreciated. thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Backup your data if you need it. This can be done by various means, the easiest being by rigging the hard disk as slave on another computer.

2: In the recovery console type fixboot and press Enter.

3: If not successful run fixmbr

kimd14

kimd14

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
How do i rig the hard drive as slave to another computer?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You remove it out of the broken computer. If it's a SATA disk you connect it to one of the SATA connectors on the motherboard and connect the power cable like it was in the broken computer. If it's an IDE disk then you take it out, disconnect the flat cable and power that connect to your CD drive and connect the hard disk to the same place without changing anything (assuming you have only one device connected to the flat cable). If you are not sure what disk you have: an IDE disk is connected with a wide, flat cable. SATA is connected with a much narrower cable. You can't mistake them. You don't have to mount the disk into the box. Just support it to avoid tension on the connectors.

All this is done when the computers are switched off and the power cord disconnected. Reconnect the power cord, boot the computer and see if you can get to your files.

ShortGirl2

ShortGirl2

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Sorry to hear about your problem! It always sucks when your computer dies! You could also try some data recovery software. I've used Selkie Rescue in the past and it works like a charm! :) Hope it all works out for ya!