Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ram Drives

• Please log in to reply

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I know that 32 bit windows can only address a little over 3 gb of ram ( from my understanding it's dependent on all other components in system ) but if you had 4 gb of physical memory and used 1gb for a ram drive would that leave 3gb for windows or only 2+gb? just a different approach to using all 4gb in a 32 bit machine.... Some one I know thought of this and I just don't know if that would work or not....

Oh and would it matter if the processor is 32 or 64 bit CPU.....

Advertisements

ShortGirl2

ShortGirl2

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I read somewhere that 32 bit Windows Vista will support up to 4 GB. At the same time, some of that is allocated to other parts of your hardware that require RAM. Therefore, it won't show that you have 4 GB, but it's just because some of that it being used. So, just like if you had 3 GB, the same thing would occur & it wouldn't show that you had 3.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
But it's a windows thing that can't access the memory... if the ram drive loads before the operating system wouldn't the 1 gb come off the 4 and still leave the 3gb to be detected and used by windows?

ShortGirl2

ShortGirl2

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
How are you going to create a RAM drive that will load before Windows does? Do you know of some software that will allow you to do that?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
that's what I'm trying to find!!!

here is some possibilities I've found so far but I want to know more about this...

http://members.fortu...ramdiskfree.htm