Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WEBPAGE GONE

• Please log in to reply

daba82

daba82

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I'm not very "advanced" in my computer vocab so please bare with me.

I had a virus on my computer. Had it taken in to fix the damage. Everything seems to work fine except that a particular site for geneaology that i visited all the time. You could search for a name on the census and an image of the document would be displayed on the lower half of the page. (nothing to do with adobe reader)....i looked to see if javascript was enabled. It was. I have foxfire. Is there anything that i can do?...........Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Advertisements

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hello :)

I am either thinking that the website has removed the feature you are referring to or it's a browser issue. As Firefox has the ability to use Plug-ins, the person whom repaired your computer may have loaded a Script (Computer code) filter (such as NoScript) into Firefox.

Try locate Internet Explorer and load the same website to check if the feature you described can be viewed :)

Report back on how it works for you so we can move forward as to what needs to be done.

(Also, include the website you are refering to :) )

Edited by TechSabre, 25 July 2008 - 04:17 AM.

daba82

daba82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Wow! That was fast!

The name of the site is HeritageQuest. You need a password to access it. I tried it on a different pc at a friends house and it worked fine. The census image came in nice and clear. Even the tech fellow tried it over the phone.(he wasn't very helpful).........

I tried checking out the sight with my internet explorer(which i never use) and it works!!! The entire page comes in great.

Maybe i should just stick with Internet explorer then. It would be nice if Foxfire worked with this since i'm familiar with it but i'm happy. It's an older computer. Lots of bugs. Very slow. But............that's for another time maybe........

Thankyou....... :)

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Well I personally (along with many others), would have to recommend that you use Firefox - it's safer and faster when it comes to the Internet :)

Would you like to try and diagnose the issue with Firefox, or are you happy to stay with Internet Explorer - it's your choice :)

But if you do decide to stay with Internet Explorer I strongly recommend you install SpywareBlaster. If your using Internet Explorer you will gain the most benefit as it sets a list of hazardous websites and ActiveX controls that can harm your computer into the block list :) It's optional, but worth it.

daba82

daba82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks again for getting back to me so fast!!! :)

The info on Internet Explorer was vrey interesting. I had no idea. We'll make sure that this is done.

AS far as Firefox. I would love to be able to repair what isn't working. One more step in improving/restoring the performance of this thing.

Let me know what i should do first.................

Thanks so much for your help. :)

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Thanks so much for your help.

It's the least I could do for you :)

I found this - Heritage Quest

I assume you can view those and the issue that your explained is on something after you enter a username and password?

Could you please go into Firefox then up on top of the screen located the drop down menu called Tools and then Select Add-ons - please post all the add-ons that are installed :) I assume that the people that installed Firefox may have installed third-party Script filtering add-ons.

daba82

daba82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
My face is red. :) I feel bad because i'm ripping around here trying to get ready for my son's baseball game this morning. :) Is it ok if i would be able to do this later this afternoon............?

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I won't be on this afternoon (your time) but juts post the results when you can and next time I am here I will be able to see them :)

Family first :)

daba82

daba82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Back.................we won one.....lost the other one......tomorrow the same......

Ok......checked out what you asked and there appear to be no add-ons at all.........just a box with a "faded "Google Tollbar" and the option "Disable" or "install"............(don't need another tollbar!!!)

That what i have.............maybe something needs to be added? I see that you can "Get Extensions"..........maybe that's what's next............ :)

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hmm - I think if you use Internet Explorer to display this census search, could you take a screen shot? Also, does it seems like a Flash or Java application? Right click on it and it may come up with eh Flash or Java menu :)

I can't really tell without logging into the site - I don't have legal access to it so that's not going to happen.

Also, I don't think it would help, but you could try clearing your browser cache/cookies (Please be aware that by clearing your cookies, you are going to have to re-log back onto sites :) ):

Please download ATF cleaner
Make sure that all browser windows are closed.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

We are just going to go through trial and error until we find a fix :)

1. In your first post you said JavaScript was enabled int eh Options menu - Is "Enable JavaScript" and "Enable Java" set to on? If not enable both.

2. It may be a Firefox 3 issue - To check what version you are running, select Help from the menu bar then About Mozilla Firefox.

3. Firefox may be faulty/have missing files. Try re downloading it then uninstalling your current Firefox installation and then Re-install it ;)

(Warning: By uninstalling Firefox, you will loose your bookmarks - you will need to create a back-up

To backup your bookmarks in Mozilla Firefox, follow the steps outlined below.

1. Open up Firefox (if not already open) and navigate to the menubar (located up the top of the screen).
2. Click on Bookmarks and then Organize Bookmarks... A new window will open up.
3. Navigate to the menubar in the new window that you just opened.
4. Now click on File, then Export. Save the file in a place where you won't forget where it is - you will need to re access it.

To import your bookmarks in Mozilla Firefox, follow the steps outlined below.

1. Open up Firefox (if not already open) and navigate to the menubar (located up the top of the screen).
2. Click on Bookmarks and then Organize Bookmarks... A new window will open up.
3. Navigate to the menubar in the new window that you just opened.
4. Now click on File, then Import. Navigate back to the file that you saved when exporting the bookmarks previously.

Edited by TechSabre, 26 July 2008 - 07:25 PM.

daba82

daba82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I apologize for not getting back to you................

After thinking abt. it for a bit i descided that because the problem concerning viewing the page for Heritage Quest seems to be the only issue(and that i'm able to view it with Internet Explorer)and evreything else seems to be in order with Firefox...... I think i'll play it safe and NOT uninstall Firefox. I'm worried that this might cause more trouble than it would help. I wish i could show you the viewing problem i'm having but this would require a password(which is my library card #)........

Now I'm working on some Trojan issues..........That FakeVirus alert...........I've seen it wreak havoc on my daughter's laptop :) and totally lunch my aunt's. Now I've got it. Stopsign is supposed to be working on the problem for me but i'm not to happy :) in the speed with which they're taking(2 weeks and counting!)............Seems as though this virus must be very popular to have two other people i know come down with the same thing.

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hello again :)

Now I assume when you mean getting virus removal help that you mean HJT analysis - if so, I can't help you further. Reason being is because it's best if your not installing/uninstalling things or changing things here and there if you in the process of malware removal - it can cause confusion on both ends :)

Once your log is all clean, come back here to this thread so we can continue :)

(Oh and by all means possible - do not post your library card even if someone says they can fix it if they have the passwords ;) )

Edited by TechSabre, 30 July 2008 - 04:08 PM.