Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe error

• Please log in to reply

suegy

suegy

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I am trying to help a friend of mine who has a Toshiba P25-S477 laptop computer. When she turns on her laptop she gets her desktop to show up, but there is only her display picture and no icons. When she hits the Alt, Control, and Delete buttons, the Task Manager opens, but there is nothing running and all she gets is this error:

explorer.exe unable to locate component. This application has failed to start because browseull.dll is not found. Reinstalling may fix it.

Is there any way she can do anything about this without some kind of recovery disk or Windows CD? She says she doesn't have either one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You! :)

Advertisements

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hello :)

It seems that the file you mentioned has either been deleted or is corrupt - the only way to fix it is to run "System File Checker" or as you said, Reinstall Windows. As you don't have the installation/Windows CD, you won't be able to run it.

1. I suggest obtaining the correct CD that is identical to her OS (Windows XP Home Edition etc). Once you have obtained it, report back here and either myself or another member can tell you how to run SFC :)

2. Take the laptop into a local tech repairer and ask them if they can run System File Checker on the laptop - if your lucky, they shouldn't charge you, but don't expect it.