Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SP3 installed, now Windows won't load! what do I do?

• Please log in to reply

mojoar

mojoar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
title pretty much says it all.
Windows Update tried to install SP3 a few times over the past week, and each time the installation would freeze up and I'd have to manually end it. today it went through the process fine and said it needed to restart, so I clicked ok... and it restarted... and it got to the point where it showed my Desktop, and I waited to do anything as startup programs were still loading up... and then the screen went black and wouldn't do anything. tried restarting with power button 4-5 times and each time, pretty much the same thing. couple times it didn't even get to the Desktop, just went through some initial loading up and then to a black screen again. once it asked me to choose among a few options like Starting in Safe Mode, but one said something like Go Back to the Last Configuration that Worked, so I figured that sounded good and selected it, but same result... black screen, computer won't do anything. help!! I need my computer back. :) (working on my crappy laptop now to get on here and ask for help!)

(excuse my ignorant non-technical language... I don't really know all the proper terms but I'm good at following directions :) )

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (All Languages)

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is valid until April 14, 2009. For more information about this policy, visit the Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at http://support.micro...ecycle/?p1=3223. Chat and e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

Some issues may require more advanced support for which there is a charge.

Ron