Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't download windows updates

• Please log in to reply

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
I just got a clean bill of health in the HijackThis! forum so it's not malware.

I get the little yellow shield on the bottom right, but it never goes above 0%. I did a little bit of digging and found that the common solution is Background Intelligence Transfer Service is stopped and you only need to start it again. When I went to do that, I got an alert that said "file not found." What's going on here? Can I fix it?

Advertisements

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hello :)

I myself and not too familiar with this "Background Intelligence Transfer Service" but I doubt that the message you received is "file not found".

Could you please tell post the exact text in the message regarding the missing file? By this, we can figure out the exact name of the file (if mentioned in the message) and what we can to do restore it :)

And just for some quick history with this issue - How long ago did the issue start and do you remember anything that may have caused this?

Edited by TechSabre, 25 July 2008 - 02:21 AM.

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Could not start the Background Intelligence Transfer Service service on Local Computer.

Error 2: The file specified could not be found.

It's been like this for a while. I believe it started happening when I got the Bravia X virus back in March. That virus compromised my firewall and disabled my Avast! Antivirus program. It would restart my computer when my firewall wouldn't let it take over my computer. Now everything else seems to be okay except that. Like I said I'm virus free now.

Edited by Lovltn848, 25 July 2008 - 04:37 PM.

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
Something strange happened. Somehow a security update was able to be downloaded but BITS is still stopped....

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Something strange happened. Somehow a security update was able to be downloaded but BITS is still stopped....

So your saying you can now download Security Updates without fail and the issue appears to be solved?

If not, I recommend running SFC (System File Checker) on your machine to see if that can fix the reported missing file :) Your going to need to obtain your installation disk though - if you don't have one, then see if you can borrow a Windows XP Professional Edition Installation Disk of a friend.

Once you have the disk or if you already have it, tell me so we can continue to diagnose the issue :)

Edited by TechSabre, 26 July 2008 - 05:13 AM.

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
I downloaded and installed the security update just fine, but then I got the little yellow shield that didn't go above 0% again. I guess it must have been trying to download another update but failed.

I do have the Windows XP install disk.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
BITs is a service that Microsoft installs on your machine to monitor the status of the update process. You need to go to the Microsoft site and reinstall it or update it. You can try here:

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

If you get errors they should include any suggested fixes.

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
I got the message: KB842773 Setup Error Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying. There is no need to install this update.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

BITs is a service that Microsoft installs on your machine to monitor the status of the update process. You need to go to the Microsoft site and reinstall it or update it. You can try here:

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

If you get errors they should include any suggested fixes.

OK, so you need to find the newer version, or the same one you have, to reinstall it. Maybe open the Update page, you might want to turn off Automatic for th duration, load the updates and go down the list till you find BITS and install it. I don't know the procedure for doing a reinstall, not on Windows anymore and things change all the time. But if you persist you will find it.

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
This worked:
http://www.microsoft...o...WKfunEUQA==

I'm able to start it now, yay! I will try downloading Windows Updates now.

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Good to hear your problem has been solved :)

If you require any further help regarding this issue, please ask. If you have any other issues not regarding this one, please create a new topic in the appropriate forum.

Edited by TechSabre, 26 July 2008 - 07:32 PM.

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
I've got the update problem fixed! Now I'm going to make a new topic and try to solve two other problems.