Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Web connectivity

• Please log in to reply

Paulus46

Paulus46

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I run a wireless network in my house that seems to be working fine with other laptops but Ihave one laptop
where I cannot connect to the Internet. There's a balloon that pops up saying my connectivity is excellent
but in both Firefox and IE I get timeout errors meaning I can't connect to any webpages (I tend to try
www.bbc.co.uk as it's always up).

The laptop has Windows XP on it and I also have the free versions of Zonealarm and AVG on it. I've tried
turning the firewall off but it didn't make any difference.

Anyone that can give me any help would be much appreciated.

Paul

Advertisements

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks To Go!

When you say your recieve these timeout errors, do you mean with the website you had mentioned or does it occur for any website that you attempt to access?

When you click "Go" or enter the web page into the navbar and hit "Enter", down on the bottom navbar, what does it say regarding the website you want to load? Does it say "Read www.xxx.com" or "Sending request to www.xxx.com" etc. - if so, please tell me which one it stops loading on.

We can also work out if it is an actual internet connectivity or just a browser problem by establishing weather anything else such as Anti-Virus software can gain access to the internet for updates.

It could also be that you need to clear your cache/cookies (providing it's a browser issue and not a connectivity issue).

Edited by TechSabre, 25 July 2008 - 02:36 AM.

Paulus46

Paulus46

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for such a quick response.

I get 'The connection has timed out' for all websites I try and my AVG is definitely not being updated - I get a
message about 'no connectivity' whenever I try. I do still get Zonealarm security alerts though. The current one says
'Prevalence reporter is trying to access the internet' and the application is avgcmgr.exe.

When I load a webpage it says along the bottom of the page 'connecting to www.bbc.co.uk ...' - nothing happens -
and then it says 'Done'

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers.

Paul

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hmm - This is a tricky issue and to be honest with you, I don't know if I am the best person to egt answers from on this specific issue.

Did you happen to press block on all the requests that ZoneAlarm asked you? I suspect it could be malware on your system - are you experiencing pop-ups on anything else that seems out of place? Do you remember anything that may have triggered this issue - IE: Did you install or delete something?

Also, has the problem always been like this or is it recent?

I am also thinking that you need to refresh the network from the computer experiencing the problem - Open up the wireless connections (where you can search for wireless networks within range), and choose refresh network list (something along those lines), and then select your wireless network. Try and connect to the internet now :)

Edited by TechSabre, 26 July 2008 - 05:34 AM.

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
have you updated to the latest version of ZoneAlarm? There was an issue with a recent microsoft update that caused users to lose internet connectivity.

Try setting your ZoneAlarm to "medium level" and see if you can connect, otherwise uninstall zonealarm and see if that solves it (re-install it afterwards if it doesn't)

Edited by Mike, 26 July 2008 - 05:43 AM.

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Oh how silly of me! I just remembered! Thankyou so much Mike for mentioning it - I can't remember how I forgot this recent issue as I was reading about it today! :)

Forgive me - heres a link regarding this issue and how to solve it How to fix connectivity problems for users of ZoneAlarm