Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP missing Uninstall tabs

• Please log in to reply

Sirius Black

Sirius Black

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Sorry, I don't run Errorsmart. Confused it with Registry Cleaner.

Advertisements

didom

didom

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
OK.

Can you please get me a printscreen of the Control Panel. Open the Control Panel (make sure issue is displayed) and expand the window.

- Press the PrintScreen key.
- Then go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint
- In Paint, go up to Edit > Paste
- Then Go up to File > Save As. Click the drop-down box to change the "Save As Type" to "JPEG", name it what you want, and save it on your desktop.
- Upload that image (or images) here.

Please post back when you have done that :)

Sirius Black

Sirius Black

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Really Sorry that this took so long, I didn't even think to check if there was more than 1 page here and thought you had disappeared. My fault.
Anyways, I sent (2) images your way through the Bleeping Computer site.
(1) is of the control panel itself.
(2) is the actual add/remove window.
I couldn't figure out how to print the whole thing but you can see that with many the uninstall tabs are missing and most of those Adobe programs are there when I never installed them in the first place.
Thanks

didom

didom

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
Okay. But I need one/two more screenshots. Can you please open the control panel, go to add/remove programs (as in your second screenshot) and scroll down so I can see the rest of the list. So basicly I want screenshots of the whole add/remove programs list.

Sirius Black

Sirius Black

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Ok, I have uploaded three Jpegs, via the bleeping computer site, that make up the entire Add/Remove panel.
Thanks

didom

didom

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
If you compare the Hijackthis Uninstall list, with the list of programs in the Add/Remove Programs option in the Control Panel abcAVI is missing. It is a longshot, but if you have this program's installation CD, remove this program from your computer and test. If the issue is resolved, reistall abcAVI.

Also strange are the Adobe programs you say you've never installed! Can you please check for me what is inside this folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe?

Sirius Black

Sirius Black

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Uninstalled the abcAVI program.
No improvement.
I checked the Adobe folder and took a screenshot of the folder.
I've uploaded it for you to see.
The Adobe programs I did install were Photoshop CS3 & Bridge, Premiere Pro 2, Adobe reader and Flash.
I did have Adobe Lightroom a long while back but never used it much so uninstalled it about 3 months ago.
Whenever I would go into the Add/Rmove programs panel the Adobe programs that I installed would show but ONLY them.
When this problem started up I noticed that there were Adobe programs in there I've never seen before and LOTS of them.

Edited by Sirius Black, 13 August 2008 - 11:52 PM.

didom

didom

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
mm strange thing,

Let's hunt the adobe stuff:

1. Launch Notepad, and copy/paste the contents of the quote box below into a new Notepad file. Save it with file name options.txt and save as file type: all files to your desktop.

RegSearch Options File

[Search]
adobe

[Options]
Filter=KVDLUI

2. Download Registry Search to your desktop.
  • Right click on the compressed RegSearch folder, and choose "Extract All". In the box that pops open, click "Next", then "Next" again, and then "Finish". You now have another RegSearch folder on your desktop.
  • Open the new folder, and double click on regsearch.exe
  • Click "Import" in the lower left corner and browse to the options.txt file that you just saved on your desktop. Do not choose the one in the RegSearch folder itself.
  • Click OK and Registry Search will scan your registry for the file(s), and a Notepad box will open with a report.
  • Please save the report and upload it to BleepingComputer like the other files.

Edited by didom, 14 August 2008 - 08:36 AM.

Sirius Black

Sirius Black

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Ok, I have sent the Regsearch log file.
Thanks

Sirius Black

Sirius Black

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Came across something and wasn't sure if it would help in any way.
As part of my regular maintenance I ran Spybot - Search and Destroy.
After the scan was complete I noticed there were three entries for Errorsmart.
I wouldn't have noticed this had you not mentioned it early on. I don't remember installing this thing though.
I posted a screen shot through the Bleeping Computer site.
Thought it would be of some assistance.
Thanks

Advertisements

didom

didom

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
What happens when you try to fix those entries?

didom

didom

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
Another thing I noticed....

"InstallSource"="L:\\Software Downloads\\Adobe Products\\Adobe CS3\\Photoshop\\Adobe CS3\\payloads\\AdobeVersionCueClient3All\\"

Software Downloads <-- that folder looks familiar to you?

Sirius Black

Sirius Black

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I allowed Spybot to remove the entries.
I then checked the Add/remove panel but it was still the same.

Yes, the Software Downloads folder is where I store any demo, trial, purchased or program updates downloaded on-line.
I searched back about a year ago when I noticed the Version Cue showing up in the Programs folder.
I read a lot of negative things about it and that it was used primarily with Adobe Bridge. I unistalled the program about a year ago and haven't had a problem with Photoshop or any of the other Adobe programs I use. They all work fine except the issue with the missing tabs but that's a recent thing.
I have a second PC that has all the same Adobe programs installed on it. It's a little slower but doesn't have the missing uninstall tabs issue.