Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing remove buttons

• Please log in to reply

Deco

Deco

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Good day,

I've been looking up on this topic online but only advice is to run 'REDEGIT', then uninstall from there.

Is there any other way of restoring the change/remove buttons, in add/remove programs? and how could this problem have occurred?

Deco

Advertisements

surfer99

surfer99

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi Deco,

I belive you mean "regedit"? that is the registry editor and if you are missing buttons in Add-Remove programs you will most likely need to change a registry setting to get them back,

First tho the PC you are using are you logged in as an administrator or on an administrator account? it is possible to remove the buttons so they are not available to "users" as a safety measure.

I will lookup where the registry setting are and if it is possible to change it using the group policy editor but i will need to know if this is your personal PC at home, or is it on a domain(large network)

Also is it missing for all programs in add remove or is it just a single application that are missing the buttons? there are malware that will install itself and make it hard to uninstall, but i have not encountered one doing this before.

Deco

Deco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey surfer99,

Answers to your queries:

1. User login is Administrator.
2. Computer is set up on a small business network
3. Around 70% of the programs without change/remove buttons.

For your guidance, here is a list of programs without remove buttons (could all be linked to our HP 6210 All-in-one printer):
6200_help
6200Trb
AiO_Scan
AiOSoftware
Broadcom management programs
bufferchm
copy
cp_atenashokunin1config
cp_dwshrek2album1
cp_dwshrek2cards1
crash analysis tool
creativeprojects
creativeprojectstemplates
Cuetour
DAO
Destinations
Director
DocProc
DocumentViewer
Fax
GdiplusUpgrade
Help and support customization
HP Product Assistant
HPSystemDiagnostics
InstantShare
MarketResearch
PanoStandAlone
PhotoGallery
ProductContext
QFolder
Readme
Scan
ScannerCopy
SkinsHP1
Skype Plugin Manager
Spelling Dictionaries Support for Adobe Reader 8
TrayApp
Unload
WebFldrs XP

surfer99

surfer99

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ok it sounds like something funny, because as admin you should be able to remove programs, if this is your work PC and you have a administrator that uses group policies to roll out programs then go to them, do not use the below.

Add and Remove - Restrictions

Go to Start > Run, type in
Regedit
Find the below 2 keys
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Uninstall]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Uninstall

first one is for your account second one for the PC

If anything is listed there with a DWORD value of 1 that means that policy is enabled, disable it by changing the value to 0

If there is anything there you are in doubt about post what is there and i will have a look.

Deco

Deco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Oddly, tried both keys, but with no uninstall folder on either (both go as far as 'policies')...