Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD and Intel

• Please log in to reply

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Is Intel driving AMD off the market? On my distributor's website, I have 164 different LGA 775 boards, and 11 AM2 and 38 AM2+ boards. I know that Intel has had an edge for a while, but are they actually throwing out AMD?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Not at all. Intel doesn't want AMD to fail and will do measures to prevent it from occurring. Similar to what happened when Microsoft bailed Apple out a while back.
AMD is doing extremely poor financially, posting it's 4 consecutive loss. At some point AMD will come back, you need to keep in mind that there are many other products AMD makes, then just desktop CPUs.
James

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
AMD recently heavily diversified and they took a big hit for it, they also don't make chipsets for motherboards quite so prolifically as Intel as its not so important to the performance of AMD chips as they build in allot of functions that in Intel are located on the motherboard. Intel release chipsets like candy you get a new one every 3 months sometimes, AMD will get a new major chipset change once a year give or take so you have more boards about.

Intel won't drive AMD out the market, they actually do a fair bit of business, Intel uses the crossfire system from AMD in all its motherboards for example.