Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any past Tech Academy $1,000-2,000 recommended builds?

• Please log in to reply

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Would like to know if there has been any Tech Academy recommended builds in the $1,000 - $2,000 range? If so, could I pls get direction to that list or get a re-posting of that recommended build.
Thanks...ZiaMan

Edited by ZiaMan, 25 July 2008 - 12:07 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi ZiaMan,

There are builds of that calibre currently in the works, but in the mean time...

What is your total budget and what are your intended uses for this computer?

Cheers

Troy

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Troy - thanks for your reply.
Total budget - would like to stay around $1,500.
This PC will be used for general business purposes, photo editing and gaming. Not looking to overclock till learn more about that. Not looking to go to SLI at this time.
I've started following some of the forum system build discussions, but can't come to final decision(s) just based on those. Too many choices?
Want to stick w/ Intel CPU (E8500 Wolfdale?).
Would like to build a solid platform that can be expanded/updated over next 2 years. This will be my first build.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Plenty of fun to be had with this budget. Here's an example of what could be done (this is a bit under the $1,500 mark):

Case
Motherboard
Video Card
Power Supply
Processor
Memory (RAM)
Hard Drive
DVD Burner
Operating System

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Troy

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thanks. Let me review and I'll get back later this evening (US EST). May have some questions on your selections just to understand your particular choice.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi Troy,

I have a question with your choice of power supply, it seems a little expensive (~$144) for a 650W, and if compared to a Corsair 750W for $100, wouldn't the Corsair be a better choice for price and also performance?

Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 29 July 2008 - 01:51 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I agree with kamille. Also, why the 64bit OS?
James

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Why $150 PSU? Why a 64-bit OS? Cause he has $1500 to spend for "general business purposes"!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
While there are some advantages in having a 64bit OS, at the moment, a 32bit OS is superior in many ways, such as better compatibility with older hardware and applications. Also, the Corsair unit that kamille316 mentioned is better and costs less. The 620HX is also a good PSU, if you want modular support.
James

Edited by james_8970, 29 July 2008 - 02:44 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Why would a new PC have old hardware? I've seen very few builds in which a person says "Well, I'm going to build a $2000 PC, but let me keep my old NIC from 1990 which only has 16-bit drivers..."

As for applications, the list not compatible with 64-bit grows shorter every day while the list of native 64-bit apps grows longer. I personally haven't encountered an app which won't run under 64-bit Vista. If you know of one made within the last 10 years, please let me know.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
64bit comparison:
The good:
1. It can use more RAM then a 32bit OS.

The bad:
1. Some applications are not ready for it and will crash.
2. A 64bit OS with 4GB of RAM will be slower then a 32bit OS with the same amount of RAM.
3. The grand majority of programs are encoded in a 32bit environment, thereby removing all potential benefits of having a 64bit OS.
4. A lot of hardware still isn't supported, even newer devices such as webcams lack 64bit support.

Unless you are using software that is encoded in 64bit, there is absolutely no reason for anyone to purchase a 64bit OS at this time.
James

Edited by james_8970, 29 July 2008 - 05:11 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Wow, it sure looks like I sparked a bit of discussion - which is a good thing, of course... :)

Yes, I was recommending a modular PSU, I am starting to get too sick of non-modular units and the mess they cause inside the case. Just the other day I had to do some rearranging inside my case (pull out a hard drive), and the resulting cabling mess means I'm probably going to have to re-do the whole lot soon... :)

So to James - yes, the Corsair 620HX unit is a good choice, but for only a few dollars more I found this Enermax. Either one would be sufficient.

And to The Admiral - don't forget "photo editing and gaming" was on the list of uses as well, with a gaming rig being the most taxing on any computer hardware.

Lastly - I was recommending 64-bit as it's a new build, with 4GB, and 64-bit support is now very good. To add to stettybet0's comments (with whom I agree, of course - why would you add old hardware to a new system?), I have a friend who installed Vista Ultimate x64, and he raves about it. I installed my wireless card in his computer and it worked fine - even though there are no "64-bit" drivers for my card (the only reason I bought 32-bit). But a 32-bit OS would still be a good choice.

Cheers

Troy

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Troy,
Sorry for response delay. Day job in the way.
Your recommendations and the resulting discussions have been good to learn from.
I have listed two alternative builds just to lower final price some. See below and please comment.

Alternative Build #1
Case - same as Troy Antec 300
MB - same as Troy ASUS
Video card
PSU
CPU
Memory - same as Troy Muskin
HD - same as Troy Samsung Spinpoint
DVD Burner - same as Troy Pioneer
Op System - Same as Troy Vista HP 64

Total = $1,265.87 (w/out ship.)
======================================
Alternative Build #2
Case
MB - same as Troy (ASUS P5QC)
Video card - same as alt #1 (XFX GeForce 9800GTX)
PSU - same as alt #1 (Corsair 620HX)
CPU
Memory - same as Troy (Muskin)
HD
DVD Burner - same as Troy (Pioneer)
Op System - same as Troy (Vista HP 64-bit)

Total - $1,135.91 (w/out ship)
========================================

Thanks...ZiaMan

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

They both look pretty good to me - I would choose the Alternative Build #1, although I'd change the processor (CPU) to this.

Cheers

Troy

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thanks.
Are the heatsink and fan units suppplied with the Intel CPU sufficient, or is it advisable to buy replacement?
..Z