Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removed winspywareprotection

• Please log in to reply

BeckyH

BeckyH

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I removed WinSpywareProtection from a friends puter by downloading Malwarebytes to a disc and installing it from that. She cannot get on the internet because her ip has been changed...
Is this something that happened because of that? (malwarebytes pulled off 53 things) or is it something different I need to look at for her? Any help appreciated...
Thanks
Becky

Advertisements

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
The computer should pull a new address when its rebooted. I doubt malwarebytes did it. We can clear you of malware and send you to the networking forum if you wish?

BeckyH

BeckyH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
oh the malwarebytes didn't do it...it happened before I installed the malwarebytes...I was wondering if it was the WinspywareProtect bug that did it... Also is there another program I need to run as a backup to the malwarebytes to make sure its clean?

She's running XP on an old Pentium 3 still with Service Pack 1 with 128 ram. I am getting her some more ram from a friend of mine so after its clean we can download SP2.

Also after I rebooted after using malwarebytes I did an ipconfig and found her ip still wasn't correct...and still couldn't get on the internet from her computer...ironically I used an ethernet to hook my laptop up through her modem and other than it being slow for hi speed internet I didn't have any troule connecting...would that be a networking forum question?

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts

Also after I rebooted after using malwarebytes I did an ipconfig and found her ip still wasn't correct

Does she have a static IP? Is she on a network. Many factors come in to play. Her
NIC may be bad also

Please do this for me

Please download Deckard's System Scanner (DSS) and save it to your Desktop.
  • Close all other windows before proceeding.
  • Double-click on dss.exe and follow the prompts.
  • When it has finished, dss will open two Notepads main.txt and extra.txt -- please copy (CTRL+A and then CTRL+C) and paste (CTRL+V) the contents of main.txt and extra.txt in your next reply.

BeckyH

BeckyH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
no network, hers is the only computer hooked to the modem. In order for me to get online through her modem her puter had to be unhooked from it so I could hook up. She only has ethernet connection

She cannot get online so cannot download Deckers...I will download it to a cd and take it down there to run from the cd my next trip down but I dont' know if I can do it tomorrow or not.

Thanks for your patience...you guys helped me clean mine up so I knew where to come for help with hers :)

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
OK. If you can hook to it and it works, I would be inclined to think the interface card is bad in hers. But it could be a software problem. WinSpywareProtection doesnt normally bork the internet connection, but every case is different. Get me that dss log and we will take it from there :)

BeckyH

BeckyH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
ok we have a slight problem with getting her log...
I got it to give me the logs BUT I have no way of getting them to you. Her cdwriter is not working so I have no way to get them off her computer to transport them to mine to upload to you unless I can get the issue of getting her back on the internet fixed so I can upload directly from hers...
Any ideas??? :)

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Flash drive (thumb drive)?

Is anything working on the computer :) Just kidding. Look in "device manager see if there are any ? marks .

BeckyH

BeckyH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
:)

I don't have a flash drive although I probably need one LOL as to anything working? Well lets see.....my personal opinion is she needs to just go buy another one but she can't afford that (we po folks round here which is why I was trying to help her out, i'm the same way) anyways...
Her cd rom will read cd's but can't write to them and obviously something is wrong with her not being able to get online (btw I did an ipconfig from my laptop and it got the correct ip so...gotta be something inside hers)
other than her embarq security which keeps popping up saying an unknown source is trying to connect the computer to the internet, the rest of the software SEEMS to be functioning ok oh other than lavasoft gets hung up and quits working after about 12 or 13 minutes when it has found 163 "infections"...it stops responding :)

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Hey again

See if the computer sees the internet at all:

click stat>> run, then type cmd...in the black Dos box type ping www.yahoo.com
The computer will ping that address 4 times. What are the results

Download these two things Winsock fix and Combofix to disk, Take them to her computer and run them both. Directiond for winsock are self explanatory, just run it.

Here are the directions for combofix

• Close any open browsers.
  • Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

-----------------------------------------------------------

• Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
    • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.

• Close any open browsers.
    • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
    • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
    • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.

• Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  • Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt" along with a new HijackThis log for further review.
**Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**

One last thing if no joy, reboot to safemode with networkin. As the computer is booting tap f8 and choose safe mode with networking and see if she can access the internet

let me know how it goes