Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

solved - License Activation problem‏

• Please log in to reply

ni-cad

ni-cad

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Edit:
problem solved, decided to reset the system....

-----------------------
Hi,

I recently bought a new custom built pc with win xp professional pre-installed.

Shortly after I received the pc I installed a new sound card which i didn't have any problems with (although i did have to reactivate the os due to the hardware change)

Today I wanted to change / replace the icon file shell32.dll. After testing it on an older laptop that also runs windows xp, i felt confident enough to replace the file on the new computer but when trying to restart he pc after the change, i got an error message and system failure saying i would have to restore the original file.

I tried to boot the pc from the windows installation disc, to run a system repair installation. The first part (where copying the new files onto the pc) went fine, but when i got to restart to finish the installation, the process got stuck at 34 minutes left to go.

Out of curiosity i then tried to start the computer. This time i didn't get the original error message, but instead after logging into my account i got the following error:

"A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code 0x80090019."

after which i would get logged off again.
After reading up on this problem in a couple of forums I found and tried the following:

start>run, and type
regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll
Click OK and wait for the message that the registration succeeded.

Then go to

start>run, and type
regsvr32.exe licdll.dll

Click OK and wait for the confirmation again.

Reboot the system normally

After this didn't work i disconnected all the unnecessary hardware from the computer and took out the new sound card, and tried the windows repair installation again.
Again the first part where copying the files went fine, but after restarting the pc it started to a black screen with only the mouse pointer.
I cant log into safe mode either, just get the black screen with text, saying "safe mode" in the four corners without actually finishing to log on.

I tried to start the computer several times now and only get either the black screen with mouse pointer or the black screen with text on top and "safe mode" in the corners of the screen.

Is there a solution to this problem other than a complete system wipe and new installation of the os?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Esther

Edited by ni-cad, 25 July 2008 - 04:20 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Wiping a computer solves many software issues.

Sound cards play no role in the activation process so your adding one shouldn't have triggered a reactivation unless you changed a more important device option in the BIOS (for activation purposes even just turning the network port off is enough to trigger a reactivation).

Shell32.dll is a key Windows file which you shouldn't really mess with. However your other issues would suggest the installation was screwed anyway. Problem with buying custom builds from other individuals is you can't guarantee what state the Windows is in when you buy it whereas a big OEM manufacturer would have had a working installation.