Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ethernet card

• Please log in to reply

mcrobb

mcrobb

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I know I can take the ethernet card out of one computer and put it in another. How do I know what make of card and how do I install it. I took it out and put it in another computer, plugged in the ethernet cable and the green light came on. The computer it came out of said there were 2. D-Link DFE-538TX10/100 ADAPTOR AND SMC EZ CARD 10/100 (SMC 1244TX V2) Whaen I tried to install it in the other computer it came me similar choices but none of these.

How do I do this?

Advertisements

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Take out first the ethernet card you're transferring. There should be just one card available to the computer your transferring the card to. Once you insert the new ethernet card, the one that wasn't there before is the model of the card you are transferring.

You can also go to Network Connections and right click->properties the adapter you are transferring. You'll see there the model of the card.

The drivers for the card can be found on the Internet. You'll need to specify the model though.