Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP loading screen takes extraordinarily long

• Please log in to reply

Introspect

Introspect

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping for some assistance on an issue my brother is having with his laptop. He brought it to me cause it was "booting slow" and he'd gotten a blue screen of death once. At boot up, it spends about 3 minutes at a black screen with a grey bar going across the bottom, then moves onto the windows loading screen. It proceeds to spend about 15 minutes on this screen, before loading windows. Once it loads, it's a little slow, but some general clean up should take care of that. All virus runs are clean, and he said nothing else abnormal has occured with it. Any ideas as to why this may be booting so slow?

BTW...He is running windows xp pro sp 2

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Most slow laptop problems is caused by the network settings. I would check them to see what they are. You can also use bootvis to see what is taking the most time to load and go from there.

http://blogs.techrep...-windows/?p=742

SRX660