Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive test (failed two tests)

• Please log in to reply

kelkay

kelkay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Also I do not know about the ram test you spoke of, memtest. Please tell me how to get this test done, where I go etc... Thank you!
I just found the memtest86 on here. Is there any cautions I should take when running it?

Edited by kelkay, 28 July 2008 - 11:32 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Nobody can guarantee. Good chances it will keep working.

Data should be backed up even at the best of times. A serious technician will never guarantee that a component will last for a certain period of time. The best he can do is replace a damaged part at no cost if the manufacturer's or seller's guarantee is still valid. It's the user's responsibility to backup his data.

I understand your position but I can't give you better assurances.

Edited by The Skeptic, 28 July 2008 - 12:18 PM.

kelkay

kelkay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I understand. Could you help me with the memtest86 so I can make a better determination on what I need to do then? Do I need to run it with firewall off, and all windows closed, or does it matter? Any precautions I need to make, please let me know. THANK YOU.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't think you have to run memtest at this point of time. If the computer works well, just keep going.

kelkay

kelkay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Alright, thanks. My computer is running much better since I got rid of malware, with the kind help of folks here on Geeks To Go. It took a long time to finally get clean, but things are much much better, and I am grateful.