Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer keeps crashing

• Please log in to reply

scottyx

scottyx

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
hi, my computer keeps crashing, at first i thought it was the monitor because the screen turns black with a green line running down the middle horizontally, but im almost positive its the computer.

it first started about a few months ago, i took my pc apart and tried cleaning dust off the fan, and it seemed fine after that, although it has shut down a few times off and on sinse then, then today it has shut down maybe 5 times, so i cleaned the fan again, and so far so good, but i'd like to know first what the problem is, and secondly if i can fix it myself before i bring it in to the shop.

any insight would be appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This sounds like your video has died. If it's onboard, you might try deleting the video drivers out of device manager and then reinstalling them. You may have to download the corredt drivers from the computer makers website.

If you have a video card you will need to replace it with a new one. If you get a different card be sure to delete the video drivers in device manager before installing the new drivers. You will need to start the computer in safe mode to delete the drivers if you install the new card to get video on the monitor. Hitting the F8 key gives you the choice of safe mode by using the arrow keys to highlight it, and hitting the enter key to start it.

Read the directions on any new hardware, it may tell you you do not need to delete the old drivers, but thats unlikely.

SRX660

scottyx

scottyx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hi, thanks for the reply :)
before i do anything too drastic, i was wondering if the problem could conceivable be dust in the fan (the one inside the computer, not the one on the back of pc) because sinse i cleaned it last night i've been on for hours now with no problem, where as before it would re-boot every 10 minutes.

i just want to exhaust all the other possible problems first before bringing computer in to the shop, which is what id have to do because i wouldnt know how to fix it manually myself.

and could it also be that there's a power problem? if so is there a way to test what the problem might be?

again, thanks for the reply :)

Edited by scottyx, 26 July 2008 - 11:25 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, if you have a video card that has a fan on it it may be the problem. It could be that the CPU( Processor) fan could be gummed up and overheating the computer, but usually you just get lockup and stutters in the system, not just a video problem.

A good program to check your voltages is Speedfan. The only problem with it is it does not work on some motherboards. If it does work it will tell you if you have low voltages. These type of problems cause crashes and lockups, but generally not video problems. You just never know until you start expermenting as to what you find is the problem. CPU fans are cheap at newegg, as they are the same as case fans. You just need to watch the mounts and size.

http://www.newegg.co...;name=Case-Fans

Have you looked in event viewer to see if you have any problems there?

SRX660

scottyx

scottyx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
event viewer? i don't know what that is, how do i get there and how does it work?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
To open Event Viewer, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, then click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Event viewer. Expand event viewer to full size so you can read the errors. I would first click on System and see if you have any red or yellow icons there. You can double click on each line to expand it in a new windows so you can read it easier. If you do not understand what it says , copy the Event ID number and description to a new post here. You can Highlight the text in the description and then click on the ctrl and c keys on your keyboard. Then go to the post( this thread and a new message) click in the message box and then click on the ctrl and v keys, and your message should be in the message box. You can do as many as you want. BUT, if there are too many or they all say the same thing we are wasting out time posting all of them.

I am looking more for red icon errors than warnings( yellow).
I get very few red errors on my XP computers and most of those are timeouts on webpages. Maybe 1 or 2 a day on those. And no other errors at all. Guess i'm lucky, but i don't get to investigate those things if i don't get any.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 26 July 2008 - 04:26 PM.

scottyx

scottyx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
# 10010
Description: The server did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Description: The Genesys Logic USB Scanner Controller NT 5.0 service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

These 2 are shown many times on the list