Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Webbrowser today?

• Please log in to reply

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Just wondering what you guys think is the best browser (or a good one) around today other than internet explorer, Ive used Firefox a bit and quite like it, whats safari like and what are the others like that are out there?

Not looking for it to be good in any one area, just overall good!

lol had enough of intenrt explorer crashes and crappyness!

:) thanks

SpuD

Edited by ==SpuD==, 26 July 2008 - 04:10 AM.

Advertisements

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Take a look at Opera, it's a good browser.

They are all fine really, FF3 improved a lot in the speed department so if you haven't updated to it, give that a shot as well.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Have just downloaded the new Firefox and yes t defianltey is a lot quicker on the speed side of things,

think i might stick with this one then! Like the addons aswell yuo can download!

Cheers for the quick reply

SpuD

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I always use firefox but have started using IE again because I have found some sites work better with it.

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I am going to have to agree with Firefox - it's far better for me in so many ways. I can have it set to automatically clear my browsers cache or cookies or history when it closes, it's faster and more stable, the ability to have add-ons open up a whole new dimension allowing me to extend Firefox far more than Internet Explorer.

But the main reason I use Firefox is because it is safer - the fact that it doesn't use ActiveX controls is why.

I personally like Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.14 better than version 3. It seems to be faster for me and more stable over v3 - but the thing that makes it definitely not for me is that they included a GUI element where whenever you move the cursor over a tab, it glows. It makes my system lag a bit (generally because I have many things open).

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Yes i have to agree with you, firefox is a lot lot better than IE!
Defiantley like the idea of being able to have add-ons is great!

I always use firefox but have started using IE again because I have found some sites work better with it.

I have to agree with you on this thoe, some websites do seem to take longer to load in firefox than IE and also the other way round to!

Thanks for your help guys!

SpuD

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Defiantley like the idea of being able to have add-ons is great!

The new version of Internet Explorer (v8) will have add-ons - I still won't change though :)

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Yeah see there just trying to copy firefox now!
haha dont think i will either... loving this new browser! :)

So much better than IE crashing every 5 minuets!

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Also i like being able to disable plugins unlike in IE!

got AVG 8 and it gives you really anoying popups if you disable 'active link scanning' but i find its a crappy feature but have been able to disable it in Firefox! whoo

haha :)

I_Need_a_Geek

I_Need_a_Geek

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I've been using IE 7 with no problems since I reformatted a few weeks ago. I used to use Firefox, but I've gone back to IE.

But I was wondering what is the best browser in terms of security??? (I'm looking to turn my laptop into a fortress.)

Any ideas?

Advertisements

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Well i would defiantley say not IE 7, but i think firefox is quite good, espically with some of the security type addons
Havent tried any of the other browsers yet so i cant compare it with them, but i hear firefox is a lot more secure than IE as it dosent use Axtive X ect...

SpuD

Edit: Does anyone no when IE 8 is actually coming out then?

Edited by ==SpuD==, 28 July 2008 - 02:59 AM.

Firebucket

Firebucket

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Personally, I like Firefox 3. I can have all the add-ons I use, (PicLens, Gmail etc) and it has a really nice interface.
Pick the one that you like the best. I'm not a fan of IE, WAY too slow for me :) but I was thinking about trying Opera under my Ubuntu install because of its IRC feature and its nice interface.

Anyway, some people say they've had millions of errors with Firefox 3, so they've gone with Firefox 2, which kinda baffles me, because Firefox 3 is WAY better when it comes to handling websites (well, according to my use)

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

I agree with you there - they also what you might say, copied the tabbing feature into IE aswell. Well atleats we can tell what features will be in in IE in their future releases - just check what's new in Firefox :)

got AVG 8 and it gives you really anoying popups if you disable 'active link scanning' but i find its a crappy feature but have been able to disable it in Firefox! whoo

I agree with you there also - I recommend using McAfee site Advisor though :)

But I was wondering what is the best browser in terms of security??? (I'm looking to turn my laptop into a fortress.)

Good choice, but don't make it so much of a fortress that it turns back onto you - One of each program only ;) (One firewall, one Anti-Virus etc.)

Does anyone no when IE 8 is actually coming out then?

It is still in BETA testing stages - If you want, I think you can still download the BETA, but I don't recommend it - there could be many security holes and when I tired the BETA it didn't work properly - that's all part of the BETA stages :)

Anyway, some people say they've had millions of errors with Firefox 3, so they've gone with Firefox 2, which kinda baffles me, because Firefox 3 is WAY better when it comes to handling websites (well, according to my use)

Yes - I personally had these problems (not just the one mentioned in my first post on this thread) - I am now using Firefox 2.0.0.14 :)

stokie.dan

stokie.dan

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
i think IE is the best. i did use firefox for abit but went back to IE. i think IE is just alot easier too use.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

I agree with you there - they also what you might say, copied the tabbing feature into IE aswell. Well atleats we can tell what features will be in in IE in their future releases - just check what's new in Firefox tongue.gif

Yeah, just have a look at all the new features!

I agree with you there also - I recommend using McAfee site Advisor though smile.gif

Nahh i do quite like the Whole AVG interface and for a free program i think its great! Just the silly link scanner that thinks it should always been on! haha

Does anyone no when IE 8 is actually coming out then?

It is still in BETA testing stages - If you want, I think you can still download the BETA, but I don't recommend it - there could be many security holes and when I tired the BETA it didn't work properly - that's all part of the BETA stages tongue.gif

Nope i wont even bother going abck to it when it comes out!
Will be full of bugs and that anyway...

Yes - I personally had these problems (not just the one mentioned in my first post on this thread) - I am now using Firefox 2.0.0.14 smile.gif

What errors did you have, i havent seemed to have any..,(yet! :))

SpuD