Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Refresh"

• Please log in to reply

scorpysue

scorpysue

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I was wondering if this Windows xp computer is supposed to refresh itself every couple of minutes or something? Because I know this one isn't. The reason I ask is because when I'm on another forum (space channel) I post, and nothing shows up unless I press refresh. I would have thought it was just that forum, but I also notice I won't get any mail in outlook express unless I hit the send recieve. Even when I first turn on the computer, if I go to my mail, it shows nothing, then when I hit send recieve, it shows 5 or 6 incomming emails.

So is there something in "tools" or somewhere that I need to click something? :)

Advertisements

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hello :)

Windows XP just doesn't refresh itself on intervals. In rare cases some websites are set to refresh every couple or minutes or so, but like i said, that's rare to happen.

Outlook Express doesn't keep a constant connection that is continuously checking weather a message is availible - however there is an option that you can enter a user-defined amount of time where Outlook checks for any emails. Heres how:

Open up Outlook Express and select Tools, then Options. Under the General tab about half way down there will be a Send/Receive configuration. Tick the box that says "Check for messages every" and enter how many minutes you want Outlook to check for messages :) (Eg: Setting it to 15 minutes will make Outlook automatically check for messages every 15 minutes - providing your connected to the Internet).

Edited by TechSabre, 26 July 2008 - 06:07 AM.

scorpysue

scorpysue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hmmm, so do you think it must be just that (other) forum thats changed something? Because I never used to have to refresh on there to see my post.

As for the outlook express, yeah, I think there is an automatic check.....somewhere I need to click something to make it do it! :)

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
To make Outlook automatically check:

Open up Outlook Express and select Tools, then Options. Under the General tab about half way down there will be a Send/Receive configuration. Tick the box that says "Check for messages every" and enter how many minutes you want Outlook to check for messages :) (Eg: Setting it to 15 minutes will make Outlook automatically check for messages every 15 minutes - providing your connected to the Internet).

Hmm - either that forum your a talking about had flash or javascript or was set to automatically refresh on set intervals :) Your going to haev to manually refresh pages :)

scorpysue

scorpysue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi TechSabre :) I went to tools and did all that, and the box was already ticked for every 2 minutes.....so I don't know why it wasn't working. Oh well, I guess clicking the refresh button manually on the computer isn't too straining! :)

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
:)

I think it is coded so that it automatically checks 2 minutes after it has been checked by Outlook itself or the user :)

If you have anymore questions regarding this topic, please post them. If you ahev any other issues that do not relate to this one, please create a new topic in the appropriate forum :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
In addition to what TechSabre wrote: Outlook Express can be set to receive mail in one of two modes:

1: Immediately, as you click the icon and open Outlook Express.

2: Not receive any mail before clicking send/receive.

To enable/disable this option: go to the same menu mentioned by TechSabre send and check or uncheck "receive messages at startup".