Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovery Consule

• Please log in to reply

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hi Guys,
for a few months now I have had duel boot up options. Winxp and Win Vista. Then one day I could not get into the winxp. I can however still boot up in Vista. I decided to try the recovery consule on the system cd, but it will not boot up in the cd rom drive. I have changed the boot up to cd , of course. I was wondering if I did get into the recovery concule, and use the FixMBR tool, would this also effect the Vista boot as well. Any ides would be appreciatted. Thank you.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Vista takes over in most instances over XP. Heres how to get to vista recovery console.

To access the System Recovery Options menu

If you have a Windows Vista installation disc, you need to restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc. If you do not restart your computer from the disc, the option to repair your computer will not appear.

If you have a Windows installation disc:

1. Insert the installation disc.
2. Restart your computer. Click the Start button Picture of Start button, click the arrow next to the Lock button Picture of Lock button, and then click Restart.
3. If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.
Note If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with you computer. You may need to change your computer's BIOS settings. For more information, see BIOS: frequently asked questions.
4. Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
5. Click Repair your computer.
6. Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
7. On the System Recovery Options menu, click a tool to open it.

http://windowshelp.m...f4be5e1033.mspx

setting up a dual boot.

http://windowshelp.m...f4c0201033.mspx

http://windowshelp.m...2749fe1033.mspx

SRX660

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try here...
VistaBootPRO allows users to easily and neatly organize their boot configuration entries from within all flavors of Windows.

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Cheers Guys,
I will give it a go. Much obliged.

Lucky