Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acre aspire 3000 laptop freeze

• Please log in to reply

robbo85

robbo85

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi iam hoping someone can help i have the above laptop , if i havent switched it on for a while then the laptop works fine but if i switch it on and off then back on again ill be lucky to get to the desktop screen , from my own observation it doesnt look like its crashing because if i move the mouse then after 10 or so minuets it wil move a bit, there is nothing on the computer as i have reloaded windows several times, i suspect it could be a heating problem , can anyone help with this and if it is fixable thankyou rob

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
a couple of things you can try ..Chkdsk and also lets see if the drive reverted from DMA to PIO mode
Right click on my computer...then properties..

Click on the ...Hardware tab then the ...Device Manager... click the + beside IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers .... right click on each Primary and Secondary IDE channel choose ...Properties... click...Advanced Settings... tab. and list what you find as the Current Transfer Mode. for each device listed for each channel...
if any are in PIO mode...
EXAMPLE ..the Primary IDE channel shows its in PIO mode

Right click on the Primary IDE channel and choose ...Uninstall.......Accept the change...then reboot let Windows reinstall the channel and the devices assigned to it ...IMPORTANT.. then reboot again

Should the channel go back to the PIO setting again in the future it indicates a problem with your hard drive. You must keep your backups current ... I highly recommend keeping FREQUENT backups anyway...just in case your hard drive fails....

Using Chkdsk

Chkdsk is a utility designed to check the integrity of the data on a computer's hard disk drive as well as find and fix errors which could corrupt such data.

Running chkdsk on your Windows XP or 2000 system can repair minor Windows problems

There are several different methods that can be used to run chkdsk
start with this one.....

1. Click the Start button then... Run
2. In the Run window's Open box... type in ... cmd
3. Click OK and an MS-DOS-style black screen will appear in a new window
4. Run chkdsk by typing one of the the following commands where the cursor is blinking...
chkdsk c: /f /r and then press ...ENTER...

typing chkdsk c... /f /r will both fix errors and recover lost data. Running chkdsk with both the /f and /r options can often take a considerable amount of time depending upon the size of your hard drive and the amount of data stored on it

OR
chkdsk c: /f and then press ...ENTER...

Typing chkdsk c: /f will only fix errors that are encountered but its much faster

5. With either command, a message will appear that says...chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <y/n>"
6. Type y (for "yes") and then press ...ENTER...
7. A message will appear that will say...This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts
8. Type exit and then press ...ENTER...
9. Reboot the computer as you normally would and chkdsk will automatically begin running after your reboot... While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage.
You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.

WARNING do not turn off your computer while chkdsk is running or you will have severe problems

robbo85

robbo85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
you are a god send what ever you told me to do looks like it has worked , my laptop has been gathering dust for a while , this has just made my day cheers friend i owe you one !!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome.... :)