Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Toshiba A60 keyboard problem

• Please log in to reply

TheWern

TheWern

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hellooooo,

I have 2 Toashiba A60 computers.

The one works 100% but the other (which is new to me) has a keyboard issue.
when pressing the 's' key it prints '2sw'. Pressing the 'd' key prints an 'e' and opens a box entitled 'Find and Replace'.
I have swopped the keyboards and they both work fine on te one machine and both do the same wrong stuff on the other.

Is there any setting I may have missed that will correct this??????

Thank you.

Sandy.

Advertisements

robbo85

robbo85

• Pip
  • 4 posts
go on control pannel on each of your pcs go on the key board tab and check the settings are the same , it might be that your using a different setting as there are different layouts of key boards which require different settings if your key boards have the " key on the same the 2 key they should be in standard setting

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I'm going to take a guess here that when you press the G key, it prints 5TG. :) You could try booting into a LiveCD of some flavor of Linux (happyrck could tell you more about that) to see if the problem is independent of Windows. Of course, make sure Num Lock is off too.

TheWern

TheWern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Unfortunately the 'G' key doesn't do anything.

The Num Lock is OFF.

Linux stuff is a bit out of my knowledge base.

Keyboard settings from control panel are Identical up to driver version. Here the one is 5.1.2600.0 and the other is 5.1.2600.2180. It looks as though this is because one has XP Home and the other is XP Pro Corporate. It is the one with XP Home that has the problem. This is an original OEM install. I have tried deleting the driver and reloading from the Product Recovery DVD-ROM but still have the same result.

Any other ideas please.....

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
linux won't help here unless your trying to save data from the misbehaving one

I have swapped the keyboards and they both work fine on the one machine and both do the same wrong stuff on the other.

that tells us the keyboard is not the problem...
you could try installing the chipset drivers..
no joy...
set the bios to default settings....
nojoy...

1. From the Start Menu, go to 'Settings'.
2. Click on 'Control Panel'.
3. Double Click on the "Regional and Language Options" control panel.
4. On the top there are three tabs. Click on "Languages"
5. Click on the "Details" button.
6. In the frame that says "Installed Services" click on the "Add" button. The "Add Input Language" dialog box pops up.
7. Scroll down the language menu until you see the language of your choice and click. Then click 'OK'.
8. When that box disappears, you are back to the original dialog box. Click OK as many times as necessary to get out of it.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
OOOooohhh idea!

Assuming that your two laptops are identical, consult your user manual or contact Toshiba support for assistance in swapping the hard drives. If it is a hardware problem, the symptom will stay with the laptop. If it is a software problem, the symptom will follow the hard drive.

Just because two keyboards do the same thing, we could still be looking at the controller, connection, or power circuits as a fault, not necessarily the OS.

TheWern

TheWern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hey.... we might be getting somewhere.

I used recovery DVD from Toshiba and reinstalled everything.

Then I put the H/D from the machine that works, into the machine giving the problem. Though the Windows is now XP Pro (not home) the problem still exists. So it looks like Windows and the H/D can relax.

The only physical this I have changed is to desolder and solder in a new power jack. But this is nowhere near where the keyboard plugs into motherboard. Though you mention power circuits as a potential problem.

TheWern

TheWern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your help, I went back to the repair I did on the power jack. The person I just bought it from said there was a power supply problem and upon inspection I could see they had broken the main pin on the jack.

During my last look, I saw that imediately behind the jack is a clip in cable for some buttons on the switch cover. This cable was damaged at the entry point to its socket and must have been shorting. I put in another one and VOILA!!!!! it all works.

Thanks again.

All the best.

Sandy

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Huzzah!

Thanks for reporting back! Best of luck!